What happens if you wean at 6 mos?

Ok, this might be a dumb question. I'm currently ebf'ing my 4.5 mos old daughter. My plan was to wean at 6 mos. I thought that at 6 mos., babies mostly eat solids, but at 6 mos. will most of her nutrients still come from formula? If that's the case, I'd rather just keep bf'ing!

danielp

Asked by danielp at 12:08 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is 6 months almost 7 months and he is still eating 24 - 30 oz of formula which equals to 4-5 6oz bottles a day on top of cereal, jar foods and some foods we eat. I wouldn't wean that early if you can keep from it. They still need the nurtrion from the milk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Yeah, nutrients are supposed to be mostly from bm or formula until they're a year or more...I would stick with the bfing.
    kttycat84

Answer by kttycat84 at 12:17 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Yes, they don't even need solids for the first year. If you wean, you'll have to give just as much formula as you were breastfeeding. Save yourself the hassle and just keep breastfeeding. You'll be glad you did!
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:19 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• The best thing to do before they are 1 is breastfeed of formula feed and start them on solids give them a little at a time, and that's usually so they are not peaky eaters later when they are older

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:28 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• ALL through yyear one the primary food is breastmilk or formula. Solids are an afterthought till the first birthday. The liquid diet ensures baby gets thr right amount of nutrietns. Too many solids and baby could well miss out.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:36 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• You will have to rely on formula if you wean before a year. Solids are a compliment to breastmilk after 6 months, however, lots of babies still are not ready for solids until later. Here is a link for you: Solids  I use it all the time... there are lots of great ideas for feeding your baby and toddler.

squish

Answer by squish at 1:44 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• You shouldn't even start solids until 6 months old and then they are only for practice and not nutrition. Your child should be getting most of their nutrition from breastmilk ideally or formula until they are about 12 months old. The WHO and AAP recommend breastfeeding for a MINIMUM of 2 years with solids as a compliment. You have made it this far why not just keep going with the breastfeeding. It just gets easier as they get older. I have nursed 2 now and the first weaned at 18 months and the second is still going strong at 2 years old!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:45 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Although the WHO recommends bfeeding for the first 2 years, the AAP's (which I think in an industrialized nation like the US is more applicable) recommendation is:

Exclusive breastfeeding for approximately the first six months and support for breastfeeding for the first year and beyond as long as mutually desired by mother and child.

Answer by missanc at 10:03 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• yes, she will still need lots of formula or BM til about 1. if you cont to bf, you don't have to start solids at 6mo, you can wait and just EBF til 1 yr. my son is 11 mo and still nursing, but gets solids once or twice a day.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 10:40 AM on Jul. 27, 2009