Is it normal 4 my 3 month old 2 be constipated every 3 to 4 days??an me give milk of magnesia 4 it? is also breastfeed..and the bowel movements just switched up?could this be the babies new schedule?Very Concerned!! Please Help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if you are breastfeeding her drink coffee at least 2 cups per day and skip your vitamin with iron
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:34 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• If you're defining not pooping as constipation, you're making a common mistake. Breastfed babies can go MANY days without a poop. The standing record I know of is 20 days!

If baby is passing normal breastfed poop every couple of days, that's perfect. Breastmilk is well used by the body and produces little poop.

If baby is passing hard pellets and is only breastfed, then you need to see your doc because something is wrong.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:35 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• 2mothers, where did you hear that about coffee? That's a new one on me. And be aware that while it's not off limits it COULD cause a bad reaction in baby.

No need to skip the vitamin unless baby is passing hard pellets.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:38 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• you may also drink tea or coffee, maybe give her some prune juice in gerber juice section. This is normal i think mine were this way too.1 tsp. dark karo syryp in a bottle of formula was also helpful but check with her doc first
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:39 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• coffee helps loosen the bowls you did not know that? lol really must not drink coffee I guess but I do and my babies are fine just 1 or 2 cups a day though due to the caffiene
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:41 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Is your baby not pooping or passing hard poops? It is normal for a breastfed baby to go many days without pooping as the previous poster said. The reason for this is because breastmilk is easily digested and absorbed. Is your baby still urinating regularly? If your baby is urinating regularly, and having normal looking soft breastmilk poop on those days, then I would NOT be giving any more suppositories. It is not necessary, and could cause dehydration if it is truly not needed.
    squish

Answer by squish at 1:39 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• EBF babies can safely go up to 10 days without a bowel movement, as long as when she DOES go, its not hard, dry or pellet like. If baby is not passing dry hard pellets, then you need to do NOTHING, except for change less poopie diapers :) Karo is not recommended for infants by Karo themselves. They state there is slight risk for botulism poisoning, just like with honey in infants.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:07 AM on Jul. 27, 2009