Is it normal for my 11 month old to be grinding his teeth?

He just started doing this a couple days ago. He has 3 teeth on top, and two on bottom. He grinds them all the time. I try to stop him, by giving him a teether, or a binkie, or some crackers, but two minutes later, he is back at it. It really worries me. He grinds them so loud that I can hear it on the other side of the room. So loud, that If I was to do it myself, it would hurt.

What can I do?

baby_momma8808

Asked by baby_momma8808 at 12:49 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son does it all the time. He has 6 teeth (he's 11 months as well) and I read that its part of teething and finding out that there is something new in their mouths. I give him gerber puffs or a sippy and he sometimes stops. If not, I *Try* and ignore it, haha.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:04 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My 8 month old does the same thing he has four teeth and he always grinds them, I think they discovered something new to play with lol and my first son did the same thing and eventually he stopped

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:55 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• It's normal. It drove me crazy when my son did it, but the doc said they all do it, its just part of discovering themselves.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 1:23 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Oh man I'm so glad you asked this. My daughter is almost a year and she's been grinding her teeth like crazy! It freaked me out because my sister grinds her teeth really bad and at 24 has what our dentist said were the teeth of an 80 year old women.
    RissaBusch

Answer by RissaBusch at 9:39 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Completely normal. Both of my kids did this and the pediatrician said it's perfectly normal and they'll out grow it. It does sound awful though.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:28 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• THANK you all so much! You put my mind at ease!
    baby_momma8808

Answer by baby_momma8808 at 2:18 PM on Jul. 27, 2009