My poor baby SCREAMS when he tries to poop, and the stupid doctor isn't really helping!!!! What should I do?

I can always tell when he is trying to poop because he stops playing and starts crying in pain. It is SOLID, about as round as my big toe, and it gets stuck. He can't get his poop out, and the doctor won't help me. I'm sick of seeing my baby in pain!! JUST TRYING TO GO POO! TMI but I have actually had to grab the piece of poo and pull it out because it was so big and stuck(peeking out). I used the diaper, not a bare hand. I already have him off of Bananas, Rice, Apples, and most bread(BRAT diet)

What should I do??? (he is 11 months)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Baby stool softener?
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 1:03 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Prunes! My daughter ate so much prune baby food at that age. She has also been on Miralax since she was around that age, she's now 3.5. I would see a different doctor, or I would go back to his pedi and tell him that it is a serious issue, and you'd like to try Miralax.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:07 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Apples may actually help poo!
    Are you giving him enough fiber? If he BF or FF. If he is FF, maybe change the formula.
    I wish you luck!
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 1:09 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Dark Karo syrup. Put a teaspoon is his bottle. Also find a new Dr! My son's pedi gave him some special powder to mix with his milk and it helped!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I just went through this with my 8 month old his poops would be so big and he would bleed it just made me cry seeing him in pain like that, I put karro syrup in his bottle with every bottle, when I gave him solids I always give him some apple juice, by doing that he has been pooping great for almost a month now. and with the karro syrup once you get him to pooping soft then just adjust the amount you put in

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:17 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Put the apples back in. Applesauce, actually, worked like a charm for my son when that happened - and yeah, i had to pull out a pooh a time or two myself. I feel your pain, and his.

No cheese, bananas, bread - my doctor said to avoid "white" foods when that happens.

I also started giving my son rinsed, canned beans as a snack. He loves 'em. I also rinse off baked beans as a treat. :)

Think about replacing some of the bread & rice with beans. Same carbohydrate, but with the added fiber. Also, pears are good - all the harvest fruits are pretty high in fiber and yet still tasty. If he eats strawberries, those would be good, too.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 1:20 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• prunes and prune juice

best thing in the world for him right now..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:32 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• also, until you get these into his system.. put some vaseline near his butt hole. I'm not trying to be gross, but it does help a little (dr told me about it when my dd was going through this).

but prunes are your best bet.. maybe a stool softener.. to keep on hand.. but for now, run to the store, get some either baby food prunes, or 100% prune juice. about 4 -6 ounces should be enough.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:35 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Poor baby! :(

My son loved diluted prune juice. Good luck~

realtorshelly

Answer by realtorshelly at 9:04 AM on Jul. 28, 2009