Not really a question but a warning about pacifiers

A while back I asked for help weaning my daughter off the binki. I got lots of responses from different moms. I appreciated all of the advice. One of the moms suggested that we snip the tip of the binki off and slowly snip more off till the child gives it up completely on their own.. Great idea and we tried it. Didn't work. Binki broken she said while sticking finger in hole. I will warn other mothers about doing such thing due to my daughter started chewing on hers and started choking off the little peices of plastic that she chewed off.. I was in my living room scoalding her across the house for the fake coughing she has started doing. She called for her daddy and he went back and found her still choked up after inhaling plastic. Now I have to cold turkey her from the damb thing and I CAN'T handle to screaming. Again I thank the mother for the advice but I wouldn't recomend giving it again.....

Aimeesmommie

Asked by Aimeesmommie at 1:16 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• thank you for the warning
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:32 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Sorry!!!! That was me who said that.... I heard it from a lady who said it worked great but apparently it isn't for everyone!!! I'm SORRY!! I am glad your little girl is ok!! Thank you for posting this! I'll be sure to pass it on!!!

07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:56 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• You dopn't have to do cold turkey.
    Binky can disappear, out of sight out of mind.
    Put it in your pocket etc. then as that time streches out
    make binky for bed and car and/or drs. only and start streching that out.
    until the day binky just gets forgotten (worked grat for my son and cuz -- both over paci's before 2 for the later one - sis born at 1 1/2)
    Trust me... binky' s are ALOT better than fingers. -- you can't hide fingers.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 3:10 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• When I cut tips off of my daughters' binkies - I cut them ALL THE WAY OFF so that they couldn't suck on them at all. I've never heard to gradually cut them off to wean them off of it - it just sounds dangerous to me anyway. It worked for my girls. They found their broken binkies and took them straight to the trash. The oldest cried for a couple of minutes and that was that.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 5:31 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• OMG! I'm so glad she is okay! A friends of mine has just started doing this I'll tell her today!! I agree with just limiting it's use to the bedroom and car. that's what i did with my kids thumbs!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:36 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Now, as a mother of a child (an older child) who uses a passy, I would think this would be common sense. I guess not. Mine wont suck it if its broke, but those who are big time into the passy usually wont care. I am sorry youre having to deal with the crying. I know you dont want my opinion, but I say go to the store get her another one and leave her alone. Ive raised 3 older kids and realized that none of them are scarred from prolonged passy sucking, so I let my youngest one have his a little longer. JMO, of course. I am glad shes okay.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:45 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I started by telling my daughter that she could have it for nap and night bedtimes only. As soon as she went to sleep I pulled it out of her mouth. Then I began to hide it and told her I couldn't find it and that if I did I would bring it to her, so she would go in for a nap and fall asleep without it waiting for me to find it. Eventually, she just got used to not needing it or asking for it.
    My thumb-sucker and blankie-sucker were the hardest habits to break - the noodgie was the easiest at only 18 months old.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:02 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• To help clarify some things for some of you.. My daughter only took her binki at nap and bed time not all the time.. It took a while to get just that. So that was the begining of the weaning process. We had decided to let her keep the binki due to we didn't think it would hurt. But when (even with the binki) it took over 2hrs to get her to take a nap or the 3hrs it would take to get her to sleep I decided that the binki was for big girls that didn't fight to sleep. We took it away at nap. after 3hrs of screaming (not exagerating) we thought we would do as suggested that night. Honestly if we had thought that she would have chewed it like she did we would have NEVER did what we did. Now that it has happened I can give another mother the warning by experience. I am not a bad mother just made a wrong choice for my child. Now all she has is the hard plastic part of the binki. Hopefully its enough.
    Aimeesmommie

Answer by Aimeesmommie at 11:34 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I don't think your a bad mother at all! This is an unheard of thing, to cut the passy. And as far as your daughter taking a passy at nap and bed I don't think that's a big deal. As long as it's an orthotic one her teeth will be fine, which seems to be the major concern for older children having one anyway.  Just let her have it while she sleeps. she will eventually stop. she won't get married and lay in bed with her husband with a passy in her mouth! lol.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:25 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• This is for the ones that have already and the ones in the furture Bashers.... I didn't post on here for someone to judge me and my husband for the obviously bad desision on the binki thing. I posted on here to let other moms know that it is potentially harmful to your child. I honestly don't think that this situation happens to all the other moms that have snipped the binki. Cause if it had then no one would suggest it. So don't go bashing me or any other mother that follows through with a suggestion that we asked for.. I HONESTLY didn't think that my daughter would do that. If I had thought that I wouldn't have done it in the first place. I am begining to figure out why alot of moms don't post on here. They are afraid of being bashed for what they want to do or have done. Is this not a place for advice and comfort not critisizing and bashing. Shame on all moms that treat others like shit.
    Aimeesmommie

Answer by Aimeesmommie at 11:04 AM on Jul. 28, 2009