Warning not a question about binki

A while back I asked for help weaning my daughter off the binki. I got lots of responses from different moms. I appreciated all of the advice. One of the moms suggested that we snip the tip of the binki off and slowly snip more off till the child gives it up completely on their own.. Great idea and we tried it. Didn't work. Binki broken she said while sticking finger in hole. I will warn other mothers about doing such thing due to my daughter started chewing on hers and started choking off the little peices of plastic that she chewed off.. I was in my living room scoalding her across the house for the fake coughing she has started doing. She called for her daddy and he went back and found her still choked up after inhaling plastic. Now I have to cold turkey her from the damb thing and I CAN'T handle to screaming. Again I thank the mother for the advice but I wouldn't recomend giving it again.....

Aimeesmommie

Asked by Aimeesmommie at 1:16 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I always try to respond to people who suggest this, it is so dangerous! I'm glad your little girl is ok.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:19 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• You should have taken it a long time ago.. Not at three or four.. Of course shes going to chew it at that age...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Anon, this really isn't about that, I've seen people suggest this with one year olds..
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:30 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• It really don't matter how old she was when she took her off, that's not her point
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:37 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I've always wondered when people suggested cutting the end away if it might not be dangerous.

IMO..................... don't worry about taking it away. They eventually give it up themselves.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 11:02 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Just to let you know Anon she only took it at nap and bed. And like the others said that is not my point. My point is DON'T cut the tip of the binki off no matter how old the child is. It is dangerous and unfortunitly we learned the hard way. We would have never done it if we had known that she would do what she did. We feel awfull about what happened and will never forgive ourselves for what happened. Also the reason for drastic actions on takin the binki away is I was tired of 2hr fights at nap time and 3hr fights at bed time with the binki. Decided that binkis were for big girls that go to bed when told and not fight it. And figured if I was ganna fight that long then no bb.Nap time was alright (daddy says) but bed time was a nightmare. We decided to try what was suggested to help with the situation. Unfortunitly it bit us in the ass. Lesson learned and am warning others about what could happen.
    Aimeesmommie

Answer by Aimeesmommie at 11:45 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• thanks for the tip. none of my kids have ever taken one, but i am prego again and if this one does i dont want to do something that could hurt my child. thanks again for the tip. glad that she is okay.
    michelle.coppes

Answer by michelle.coppes at 12:40 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• 3 of my 5 had them, they gave them up on their own. Usually by age 4. Sounds late, but by that point they only had them at night. My son had another little boy in a store say "look mommy, baby" that was it! He said I am not a baby! I told him well others may think you are because you have a binky. None of my children required braces, had damage to their teeth etc. I just think somethings in life should not ba a battle. Raising kids is hard enough. Let them cling when they need too. They will give it up on their own.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:46 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• USE COMMON SENSE!

Anonymous

• Good luck! My son broke his self at 10 months-due not really getting the binky unless bedtime. I really have no advice but you might have to put up with the screaming but she eventually will get over it. I always thought that tearing off could be dangerous.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:59 AM on Jul. 28, 2009