a scam?piog

Recently I posted a question on Goddess Moon Circles academy. I realize I should have been more specific. GMCA is a online pagan homeschool. After I enrolled (after previous very prompt correspondence with the headmistress) and paid $200 for a years worth of curriculum, the headmistress disappeared and I still had no access to anything. I wrote many many letters for a week and a half. Still nothing. Finally I started researching the names she had used. Kate Whittaker, the name she gave me seemed on the up and up. But apparently thats an alias. Kate is her middle name, she usually goes by "Lisa gerry". And apparently Lisa gerry is infamous for internet scams. So I took action, I filed a complaint in paypal, sent a request for repayment and a letter stating she had 24 hrs to respond with either my money or what I paid for, or I was filing both criminal and civil charges. Lo and behold she suddenly resurfaced.

NightOwlMama

Asked by NightOwlMama at 1:41 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• Claiming she had an ear infection and thats why it took her a week and a half to respond. Of course this was 20 mins after action had been taken. She claims that I had access all along she just hadnt been able to mail the password and acct name to me, but it took me 5 trys after she mailed the info to me for me to be able to get in. I suspect she set it up at that moment and it took time to process bt have no proof. I was able to download the curriculum bt am disappointed bc it was not very good, all things I have seen for free on the internet just complied and not very detailed. Now the $200 was for a detailed curriculum, teacher aid, student online interaction, and her reporting to the state in my child's behalf. I have heard from other posts of her that in the past, she has not reported to the state, and there have been no access to the teachers (who I also found out are more aliases for herself).
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 1:45 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Good for you for following up and following through!! It is SOOOOO important to do your research. Be sure you report her on fraund.org. Hopefully you can receive a FULL refund!
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 1:45 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• So all of the teachers are her. Now I am not sure what to do bc I finally did recieve the curriculum bt it definately wasnt what she said it would be, and I wont know about the other stuff till school year starts. If I dont get what I paid for I want my money back, I had to sell my own things to provide it. My questions are, those who said they had been scammed, please give more detail or pm me if you dont want it to be public. Those who are just giving advice, what should I do, and homeschooling moms, is there any way to tell if she can legally report to the state for me and if not what do I do? I am so new at all this. I just want my daughter to have a good education.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 1:50 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• oops....www.fraud.org. Can you call the state and see if she has ever reported? It sounds to me like if she is acting like this then she doesn't have her stuff together and probably doesn't report to the state. GL
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 1:58 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Well, I wouldn't be concentrating studies on that program. What if your kid goes through all that work and then it's not recognized? Why can't you just do a regular homeschool and try to teach your beliefs and lifestyle to your kids on your own? Does it have to be pagan to give your kid a good education?
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 7:46 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• No it does not have to be pagan, but I would like to encorporate some of our beliefs into the classroom bc my daughter is only two (almost three), and she needs a strong foundation to work upon, but I could incorporate that in myself.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 8:30 AM on Jul. 27, 2009