First birthday party ideas welcome

My daughter turns one in a couple months and I'm already trying to plan a small party of close family members at my home. I was just wondering if anyone has any creative and unique ideas for me. I'm looking for ideas on pretty much anything like the cake, decorations, keepsake ideas, etc. I know she won't remember a bit of it but I just want it to be a fun time. Thanks for your suggestions!

Bears.Mommy

Asked by Bears.Mommy at 1:43 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Awww! Congratulations.... your baby's first birthday is such a milestone! Enjoy it!

For our daughter, we had some balloons on the floor for her to smack around (she wasn't walking on her own yet, just hanging on to stuff and "toddling" so they were right on her level. Just clear away any that pop so she doesn't put them in her mouth.

Does she have any characters she likes, like Elmo, Mickey Mouse or anything like that? You could do something like that. My daughter had a castle cake (her grandmother's idea, not mine) but for our own little party (just her and me and her daddy) we gave her a cupcake that she could eat and play with. She had a blast!! Plus it made a really cute picture with her face covered in icing and cake and grinning like crazy!

Take tons of pictures and video! She won't remember the day, but she'll LOVE seeing it when she's older. Enjoy the day. It's a really special day for you! :)
    mugsysmommy

Answer by mugsysmommy at 1:50 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Just had my sons first and here are a few things we did
    I set out a frame mat and pens and had every one write a message to him. His Bday pic is in that frame now hanging in his room
    We played guess how many cheerios in the jar
    I just used regular birthday colors/theme but I bought a First Birthday highchair decorating kit at Target and used the part that is supposed to be a floor mat as a banner. :
    Good luck, have fun!
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:47 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• there is a website www.1stbirthday.com its a cute little site with lots of 1st birthday keepsakes. ave fun.

my LO turns 1 next month and i wanted to have some other kids over and play in the sprinklers and a baby pool. so to get my LO used to it, istarted giving her showers and now she loves sprinklers!
    lovinsophie

Answer by lovinsophie at 8:15 AM on Jul. 27, 2009