At what age did your LO first spend the night away from you?

My son just turned one. I am thinking about having him spend the night at his grandparents for a night so that DH and I can have a date night where we can actually BOTH have a couple drinks and come home late without disturbing him.
I think he might still be too young, but DH thinks I am nuts.

jenellemarie

Asked by jenellemarie at 1:43 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• It sounds like you are the one that isn't ready. And that's fine. I know that conflict of wanting to have some special time together but also feeling like a piece of you is missing if your little sweetie isn't with you. I'm sure he'll be just fine with his grandparents. If you aren't ready, that's fine too. In my opinion, that's not too young to stay with grandparents. :)
    mugsysmommy

Answer by mugsysmommy at 1:53 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I would not leave my son if I wasn't ready. My son is 18 months and we have left him at Grandmas for a few hours at the most. We are thinking about leaving him with Grandma overnight and then for a few days after he turns 2. That is what works best for our family. You know what's best for your son.
    ronisaurus

Answer by ronisaurus at 1:56 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My daughter Noel had to stay at my in-laws for two weeks when she was four months old because her twin sister was in the hospital with RSV for a week and I stayed there with her, then we had to keep them seperated for another week when we brought her home because she was still contagious. Since they kept Noel alive I had no problem with overnights after that. The twins have been going over there to spend the night every wednesday ever since that time.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 2:20 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My kids were a month old when they first stayed with their grandparents overnight.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:08 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• DS was about 12 months but it was out of necessity. we had a wedding to go tho that would have put us picking him up at like 1 am! DD is 18 months and never spent the night away. she will be doing so next week! ::sniff:: I don't think 1 is to young, just harder because they seem so little. At the same time you want to start a little young so they can get used tot he idea. Plus they will be staying with someone you as well as them LOVE and TRUST. That's important. Have a night out! Let him stay with G'ma. He'll be fine and you call call and check on him every hour if you want to!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:39 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• About 4 months, and a few more times after that. We should've done it more often because when he was a little older he was horrible about it. Not trying to worry you, but it was around one that he started throwing screaming hissies if we tried to leave him with relatives.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:48 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• 14 months
    KLBrown

Answer by KLBrown at 7:11 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• She spent a weekend with her Aunt and Uncle about a month ago, so dh and I could go to a wedding 8 hours away. She was 2 1/2.
    bethany_smith

Answer by bethany_smith at 7:15 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• 4 months with my oldest. My baby has yet to spend the night away from me.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:20 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I don't think a one year old is too young, if you trust the relative then I say go for it!! Have fun!
    mars33me

Answer by mars33me at 7:38 AM on Jul. 27, 2009