Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any words of wisdom,advice and encouragement?

I am going to child support court tomorrow for the second time because my ex-husband said he forgot his tax papers and they gave him 3 months to produce them, I got a call last Thursday (although) "He is not working he can afford a lawyer" and the lawyer wanted a continuance, I said "No, he has had plenty of time to produce his tax returns. My fear is that I go through all of the trouble of having a friend take me Downtown, only to have a lawyer ask for a continuance and get it. I have evidence that he owns 3 houses and he told me he is renting the other 2 under the table. The court only wants to see IRS returns and won't listen to me or see the letter he sent me that he wrote to his client , saying how he wanted to cancel his $60,000 per year contract because his business was booming and had to go elsewhere. Should I demand (in a nice way) that the judge review this letter he wrote on his business letterhead?


Asked by Mamasita98 at 1:44 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • I'm not a lawyer so I don't know the ins & outs. But I do believe that you have the right to produce any & all documentation necessary to prove your case. If you have proof that he is denying contracts b/c he is too busy, then the judge needs to see that.

    Here in Washington state, parents are responsible for paying child support at their highest income level (to a certain extent). So, if Dad has a high paying job & quits & tells the court that he works at a fast food place for $7.75 an hour, the courts will tell him he better find a new job. Of course, each case is different, but this ruling went into effect b/c people were doing just that--officially (but not really) resigning from great jobs just to get out of paying child support. If your ex is juggling his taxes & books to avoid child support, the court needs to know.

    Good luck!

    Answer by funnyface1204 at 2:28 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

  • Do you have a lawyer?

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

  • I think you should not worry so much about all his money and worry more about the kids daddy! Do you care if he has a relationship with his kids or are you just about his money? Call him up and do it without the courts involved! One day your kids will be all grown with a dad they just used for his money and throw him away! might happen anyway if that is how you treat him!

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

  • I don't think she understood your question
    I wish I can help but I have no clue about all that legal stuff, but it does just seem so unfair

    Answer by looovemybabies at 1:58 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

  • I know she doesn't get it looovemybabies, Anon :48, Child support court is NOT custody court. Of course I care if he sees our son and picks him up but he doesn't. So in turn if I am raising him without any participation from his father and his father does not only push him to the side then what else can I ask for to offset the cost of raising a boy by myself? He want's to do things and eat and have outing. He wants to take guitar lessons that cost $100 per month. Ugh, evermind, I asked for advice, wisdom and encouragement not assumptions and questions.

    Answer by Mamasita98 at 2:20 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

  • Thanks Funnyface! It is a sad thing that you can demand child support from your ex-husband but you can't demand that he have visitation. Anyway, why would I want to force my ex-husband to have visitation with his own child? Shouldn't he just call and see him (which he does) like every 13 months? I am not worried about ALL of his money, I am worried about ALL the money that he could invest in dentalcare for my son. Did you read this anon :48?

    Answer by Mamasita98 at 2:54 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

  • I have no experience on this issue, but I hope all goes well!!!

    Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:09 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

  • Thanks 07lilmama!

    Answer by Mamasita98 at 3:12 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

  • You should go see a lawyer. You should be able to see one for free just to talk about the case. If the lawyer thinks they can get your voice heard and documents seen, I would hire him/her. A lawyer may be able to prevent another continuance as well.

    Answer by casperskitty at 4:28 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

  • I'm afraid that I can't help you much here.  But I do suggest that you by pass the courts and take your evidence straight to the IRS. 


    Answer by beeky at 7:39 AM on Jul. 27, 2009