what are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?

cuz im really starting to think i have it. one minute i'll get pissed at my boyfriend over NOTHING, and the next minute he could do something terrible and i'll forget about it. or some days im just a bitch to my parents for absolutely nothing and other days im not. and some days i just wake up completely bitchy for no reason. i just started noticing this about myself recently and i don't think it was this bad before. it's not menopause, im only 20, and it's not just during my period or when im stressed out. so, what do you think my problem is?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Health

• coffee
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:55 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• i don't drink coffee.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Since you're concerned, make an appointment with a doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Psychiatry is not an exact science. One doctor may diagnose you with bipolar while another may not. But here is a link that you can look at if you want to see if it sounds like you.

Just because you are sometimes bitchy doesn't mean you are bipolar. You may just need a break from the kids and the man and give yourself some time just for you. Maybe you wake up in a bad mood because you really didn't rest well the night before and maybe you are snapping at people because it's an off day for you. I wouldn't even suggest that you go on any psych meds unless you really cannot function without them because the side effects are worse than the symptoms of the disease you are being treated for.

http://www.webmd.com/bipolar-disorder/guide/bipolar-disorder-symptoms-types

Hope things improve for you soon. Take care of you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:04 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I'm a type II bipolar and when I have episodes, I'm not bitchy or stressed. I start with hypomania (the manic portion) but it's different then with a type I (fulll-blow bipolar). My hypomania is actually a really REALLY cheerful and happy mood, I talk non-stop and have all these great ideas swimming around in my head. a few hours later the crash happens and it shifts right into depression (type II's are heavy on the depression end). I stopped taking meds 11 years ago because now I know what to watch for and what to expect, and dh and the kids know how to let me roll through it without drugs (but it's very hard to do, you need to have an excellent support system to self-treat it).
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 7:18 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Could you be severly tuned into your menstral cycle? You may be suprised if you chart your cycle how it is effecting your mood. I would start keeping a journal. It should give you a clue in to whats up. I was always a moody young woman but I later found out that I have suffered from generalized anxiety disorder and yes was misdiagnosed w/bi polar. It almost distroyed my life. The meds for bi polar freeked me completely out. I now take meds for my anxiety and I feel soo much better. Best of luck.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like hormones.

I'm leery of armchair psych. diagnoses and meds. Schedule a check-up with your Dr. Best wishes~

realtorshelly

Answer by realtorshelly at 8:04 AM on Jul. 28, 2009