Homeschooling Moms

Recently I posted a question on Goddess Moon Circles academy. I realize I should have been more specific. GMCA is a online pagan homeschool. After I enrolled (after previous very prompt correspondence with the headmistress) and paid $200 for a years worth of curriculum, the headmistress disappeared and I still had no access to anything. I wrote many many letters for a week and a half. Still nothing. Finally I started researching the names she had used. Kate Whittaker, the name she gave me seemed on the up and up. But apparently thats an alias. Kate is her middle name, she usually goes by "Lisa gerry". And apparently Lisa gerry is infamous for internet scams. So I took action, I filed a complaint in paypal, sent a request for repayment and a letter stating she had 24 hrs to respond with either my money or what I paid for, or I was filing both criminal and civil charges. Lo and behold she suddenly resurfaced.

NightOwlMama

Asked by NightOwlMama at 1:53 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in

• Go for a refund, you can do it for less than she charges by simply having internet access and a library card. I'd pursue it for all it was worth.

Also, you should post this on other pagan and homeschooling sites and groups here on CM. People need to know about this scam artist.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:47 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Claiming she had an ear infection and thats why it took her a week and a half to respond. Of course this was 20 mins after action had been taken. She claims that I had access all along she just hadnt been able to mail the password and acct name to me, but it took me 5 trys after she mailed the info to me for me to be able to get in. I suspect she set it up at that moment and it took time to process bt have no proof. I was able to download the curriculum bt am disappointed bc it was not very good, all things I have seen for free on the internet just complied and not very detailed. Now the $200 was for a detailed curriculum, teacher aid, student online interaction, and her reporting to the state in my child's behalf. I have heard from other posts of her that in the past, she has not reported to the state, and there have been no access to the teachers (who I also found out are more aliases for herself).
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 1:58 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• So all of the teachers are her. Now I am not sure what to do bc I finally did recieve the curriculum bt it definately wasnt what she said it would be, and I wont know about the other stuff till school year starts. If I dont get what I paid for I want my money back, I had to sell my own things to provide it. My questions are, those who said they had been scammed, please give more detail or pm me if you dont want it to be public. Those who are just giving advice, what should I do, and homeschooling moms, is there any way to tell if she can legally report to the state for me and if not what do I do? I am so new at all this. I just want my daughter to have a good education.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 2:01 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Try going through Paypal to get your money back. The "item" was not as described and Paypal may still refund your money because of the fraud.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:57 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• get a refund & go for a well known hs program
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:09 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• ReFund!!!
    Anonymous

• i agree with the other posts but if u want a good homeschool curriculum try the calvert school- its totally 100% real and the stuff they send is great- and they also offer a payment plan if u cant pay it all at once- its a real private school that is based in baltimore that offers a homeschool curriculum and it reports to the state for u i believe- it doesnt have any religious based material either so u can add to it anyway u want- check it out at http://www.calvertschool.org/
    good luck and i hope everything works out for u
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 11:17 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• oh and i meant to add that the school also offers free internet school with a few states check if it offers it in the state u live it doesnt with mine but check it out
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 11:19 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Goddess Moon Circles Academy? This scammer is laughing all the way to the bank! What were you thinking?!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:59 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Go with a well-known pre-organized curriculum or online school and then supplement it with outside items for your personal beliefs or come up with your own curriculum (takes a lot of work - this is what I chose to do this year for our first year of homeschooling) and incorporate different things related to what you believe throughout different subjects.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jul. 28, 2009