what is a normal temp if you take a temp in the butt?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was wrong. I looked at this article and it says that the normal rectal temp of a child under age 3 is  100.4. http://www.parentsconnect.com/articles/taking_babys_temperature.jhtml

It also states for the axillary (armpit) method, normal ranges are from 94.5 to 99.1. Yes, under the armpit, the thermometer isn't "enclosed", like the rectal method. Hope this helps!

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:46 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• 99.6
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 2:11 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• 98.6 degrees & rectally is the most accurate method, so I hear. Can't remember if you still add a degree or not. I know you add a degree when you do it under the arm.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:12 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• no under the arm is 97.6 your butt is hotter than your armpit?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Rectal temp is most accurate. This is the "true" temp. 98.6 is normal... Do not add or take away a degree. Armpit and ear is where you add a degree.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 8:46 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Rectal is most accruate, but the method doesn't change the normal temperature. Oral and rectal should be similair and underarm you need to add a degree or two (my reading was 97.6 underarm but 98.6 oral when I was testing out my new multi-use thermometer.) to get back to the norm becuase it is not as accurate.

Normal temp ranges to as high as 100.4 (on average, a child could be higher, but it's not mormal). My doc says a it's not really a temp to worry about until 101.4.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Jul. 27, 2009