Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

at what point do you get the law involved when an 18 yr old has yet to come. She has been gone 7 hours and have not heard from her.

Answer Question

Asked by wheresthewayout at 2:30 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 29 (39,885 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Hmmm I don't know if the laws are different with an 18 year old because they are considered a legal adult. I could be mistaken but I think you have to file a missing person's report? I am not sure. Since she is a legal adult she technically has the right to stay out as late as she wants to and I don't think the police can get invovled if she doesn't come home.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

  • There's not much you can do because she is 18. But the problem with that is that if she lives under your roof than she is to abide by your rules or pay the consequences. That's how my house is ran and will never be ran different. I tell my kids if you want your rules than get your own place. Now if she don't normally do this I would call her friends and go lookingfor her. My 19 year old said he would be home at 300am and I laughed my ass off and said be home by midnight or sleep in your car! May sound mean but my house my rules. No but honestly if this is not normal for her I would be worried. Dose she have a cell phone ( if so blow it up)? And go looking for her. You cant get the police involved until somebody has been missing for more that 48 hours. Good luck and Ill be praying for you and her.


    Answer by Anonymous at 2:44 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

  • At 18, the law will do nothing. You'd have to file a missing persons and I think that is 24-48 hours that they are missing.
    If its not a typical thing for her... I would be calling her phone, friends, boyfriends... where did she go? can you retrace steps??
    good luck

    Answer by MamiJaAyla at 3:06 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

  • I think it's 24 hours unless there is mental illness involved. Doesn't hurt to call and ask. You should be able to look up your local non emergency number pretty easily.

    Answer by But_Mommie at 6:41 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

  • Have they came home yet???

    Answer by say_tay at 8:52 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

  • Here in VA an 18 year old is still considered a child dependent if they are still in high school, which gives you the right to call the police to help you find them. If your daughter has done this before then you'll want to wait 24 hours, if not, then I would call right away.
    Best wishes.

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:58 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.