how to potty train without troubles ?

my 3 an 1/2 year is admit about not using her potty chair. i know i started late in training her but not she just doesnt want anything to do with it. i am going to do the wear no pants and buy another chair too see how it goes at home.and then give he m ms for a reward. otherwise i dont know whatelse to do. i want her potty trained b4 school starts. any help

FoxMulder1993

Asked by FoxMulder1993 at 3:14 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Every child is diffrent what works best for one may not work for other.. mine were easy to potty train, i think boys are much easier then girls, maybe you should try putting her on tolit, facing backward is how my babysitter did my son, he was affraid he would fall in.... I also told my babysitting kid, that if he wanted to ride on the big school bus he would have to be big boy and go on potty ... good luck and just keep pations, my daughter, didn't like it when you made it a big deal when she went potty.....
    twistedcandy

Answer by twistedcandy at 7:39 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My friends 'mocked my methods" until they saw all 4 of my kids potty trained before age 2 without any difficulty. The youngest age was 15 months.
    Rule 1: Every dirty diaper, poop or pee is changed in the bathroom. No exception. I do this from birth.
    Rule 2: Set a timer, every hour put your "walking" child on the potty. Plus any time you go, take your child with you.
    Rule 3: No pull ups. They make accidents too easy. (At night use is ok, but rubber pants over thick cloth training undies is better)
    Rule 4: Praise even OVER praise any attempts. Does not have to be a physical reward. Just sing dance, Get silly. Make up a potty dance.
    Rule 5: Don't punish accidents. But be overly disgusted "Yuck..poop is gross" Give them a very quick, standing up no thrills, cool bath after every accident.

Do this for 2 weeks and I PROMISE success.
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 8:40 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I waited until they were dry at night, and then trained them in a weekend. Each was age three at the time. When they were dry at night, I picked a weekend when we would be home all weekend, and starting Saturday morning I took them to the potty every half hour all day. By Sunday they took themselves with my reminder. By Monday they were trained. Saturday they went through 5 pairs of training pants. Sunday it was 3 pairs. Monday they had no accidents at all.

Answer by Bmat at 9:35 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I think at the age your child is now, you can use the regular toilet, maybe with one of those seats attached to it so they don't feel like they will fall in. Personally, I don't think you waited too long. I guess a person can start training their child "at birth" but I don't think it is necessary and I also feel very strongly that toilet training is a chance for THE CHILD to learn about controlling themselves so it shouldn't be a situation that is controlled by the parent. But I know there are various opinions about that and you have to do what feels right to you. So, you chose to wait until your child was ready and now you feel pressured because she is getting older? I know sometimes older kids like yours are hesitant to try because they are afraid, or sometimes they can be manipulative with the whole situation. What do you think is going on here? What do you think her motivation is? Understand her thoughts and respond.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:50 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• If she won't use the potty, then put her on the toilet. No diapers during the day

Answer by rkoloms at 11:55 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Bmat - I did the exact same thing as you. It worked great. I would put her on the regular toilet. No reason for a potty chair. Whatever you do, take the diapers away for good and don't go back (except at night). Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:13 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Well, the first thing you have to do is make sure hes ready. It sounds like he is. I am in the same stage. I have a 3 yr old who is just about 3 1/2 and has just now come to a place where he is able to hold it and know when he can go. So we are working intently on this. I just put underwear on him and watch him closely. I remind him and we do incentives of M&M's and I found that he would go just to get emmies (as he calls them) and though that worked, I found that once the interest wore off I had to motivate him in other way. Hes doing well now and I do think he will be a few more weeks. I always wanted PT to be a quick thing so I waited until they were good and ready before even attempting it. I feel for ya...Good luck to you
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:08 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I potty trained both of mine by taking one entire week off just to concentrate on the potty. I mean, we did not leave the house for an entire week for anything. (I should say the child(ren) didn't). They spent the entire week in their underwear and a t-shirt, with me plying them with drinks, and running them to the potty every 20 minutes. I started with a little potty for the first few days because I wanted them to actually see what they did. When we could see a good amount of pee in the potty, we would make such a huge deal out of it and reward them with M & M's. The one thing that I also want to point out is that they don't know what the feeling to control it feels like. When you spend that time sitting with them they figure out that when they feel this feeling that's what makes the pee come out. It took them a couple of days to "get it", a couple of days of practice and by the end of the week we were done.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 5:15 PM on Jul. 27, 2009