Advice from other moms prone to premature delivery, especially if you HAVE delivered prematurely...

I was told that due to a few different factors (bicornate (sp?) uterus/heart-shaped uterus, elevated blood pressure aka pregnancy-related hypertension, & being overweight) that there is a large chance of me having a premature delivery. My doctor is aiming for 37weeks so that I am technically full term, but is predicting anything as early as 32weeks (I am 26weeks now). I have been trying to wrap my head around all this, but can't seem to stop wondering what-ifs. What if he is born too early? Can my insurance deny extra care for a premature baby (they wont answer my questions, but what can you expect from California's government issued insurance)? I need some stories, what goes through your mind when you go into labor early? Was it planned early?? Can you still deliver vaginally when it's premature?? Were your babies okay?? Please, any reassurance or information would be nice...

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 3:23 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My first was 3 weeks early, the 2nd was 4 weeks and the 3rd was 5 weeks early. I had gestational diabetes and was on bed rest for a month before the 2nd and 3rd births for a month. I had braxton hicks from about 5 months on. It was scary because It got so bad I couldn't tell if I was in labor or not. The last 2 were in the hospital for 7 and 10 days because even though they were all just over 6 lbs they had lung problems. When mom has health problems it's so important to try and take care of yourself because it may very well affect the baby. Just because your Dr said he expected you to go early doesn't make it so but it is best you go with that assumtion and do everything he says. Good luck!
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:12 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Your insurance will cover the baby if he/she needs the extra care. With two of my pregnancies I went into labor at 6 months and was in and out of the hospital so they could stop my labor, with my doctor's help I was able to keep them in me long enough (they were born a couple of weeks early) so there were no complications and they were all delivered vaginally. The best thing for you and your baby is for you to rest and to not stress.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 4:06 AM on Jul. 27, 2009