• In the Spotlight:

What are some good starter out finger foods for an 11 month old?

My son started gerber puffs a 2 weeks ago. We tried before that but he had no interest and since he is BF I wasn't too concerned and neither was the Ped because he was getting his nutrition from my BM.. Anyways.. He is loving the puffs and puffed popcorn.. what are some other things I can give him that are easy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:08 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Anything! just cut it up small. It is trial and error to see what he is going to like. Both my boys were hooked on cheeze-its.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 8:21 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• puffed rice
    puffed kamut
    cooked beans
    avocado
    baked sweet potato
    cooked whole wheat pasta, if you have introduced wheat
    tofu cubes, if you have introduced soy
    the best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their parents is Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron; you should be able to find it at your local library;more information at www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 9:42 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My son liked those microwave mix veggie steamer bags. They are already chopped into small pieces and he loved the colors. He liked Mum Mums too. They ae rice husks or something like that.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 9:51 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My kids have all loved a variety of dry cereals - Cheerios, Gorilla Munch, Rice Krispies (now they have the large size). But try any foods, just cut them up. My 8 month old eats whatever we have for supper, I just dice it. Yes, it's a little messy but he's learning.

Answer by missanc at 9:54 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My kids at a lot of fruit cut up very thin, such as apple, pear, grapes cut into fourths, etc. I also fed them canned crushed pineapple that was packed in water. another great food is shredded cheese.

You can also give saltine or ritz crackers...they melt in their mouth. Cooked potato and sweet potato are great.

I keep the little small individual packages of peas, corn, and diced carrots on hand to feed when I'm in too big of a hurry to cook or cut up food.

I give goldfish crackers and rice crispies cereal as in between meal snacks. At 11 months, I was also giving whole peaches and plums that were just peeled. When my baby would get them eaten down close to the pit, I'd take it away.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:46 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Depending on how many teeth he or she has. My son has about 8 or 9 teeth and is 11 months. He loves these rice cakes called Mums they come in two flavors, veggie and cheese. He also loves cheerios and these little star shaped crackers. Anything that dissolves in their mouth should be good, he also loves bananas. :)
    kgmmw

Answer by kgmmw at 2:24 PM on Jul. 27, 2009