• In the Spotlight:

Are American parents aware that "spanking" is considered abuse in most other countries and has been outlawed by several?

How is it so normal in America, but most other countries are appalled by it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• Because some people take it too far. Spanking is not abuse unless you take it too far. I'm glad I live in America!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:23 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Those "countries" also don't have some of the basic freedoms that we do and they live in fear of their government.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• How do parents in other countries effectively discipline their kids?
    If a parent were to give a child a swat on the bottom would the kid say mum,I'm calling the police?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• yeah and other countries think its okay to stone children to death if they are disobedient. That doesn't mean we should do it to.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 8:38 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Yep, I agree with anon....those countries are controlled by their government and society as a whole. I refuse to allow society, which by the way is going to hell in a handbasket and has NO creditbility with me, to determine how I discipline my children. I did speak with another cafemommer through chat last week and the way she described her discipline methods to me was appalling. Even as a person who believes in spanking, this was clearly over the line and definitely gives the rest of us a bad rap. I think that those who dont spank have all these images of what spanking is like in their minds and its so totally NOT accurate. I personally dont feel another parent has a right to say whats okay and not okay for my home. I stay out of everyone elses life, I expect others to stay out of mine. No matter what anyone thinks about it, its still an option for my home.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:40 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• who cares
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My children are adults now and were raised during the Dr,Spock era.I used spanking as a last resort..Some time,children test you when you say NO....see how far they can get away with things..Small children need to be made aware that No means just that and if they are about to be harmed in some way by not listening or disobeying a smack on the butt is good...It is true some people take it too far..that is a shameA a very wise women tell me that the reason we have so much padding on our butt is for that special reason:discipline.
    My childre,turned out to we fine,law abiding,respectful people..through thr grace of God and a spanking or two.........
    perkipat

Answer by perkipat at 8:48 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• And yet, in some countries, it is okay to whip the bottom of a child's feet with a switch (flexible stick from a tree), or put them in factories at a young age to do hard labor, or have them work in the fields to do hard labor while giving them very little rest and food.

So long as it is not abused, then a swat/spank on a child's covered behind is not a crime.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:55 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I agree with the second response. Did you know there are tribes in Africa where the men of the tribe take the boys at age 13 and sodomize them as a "rite of passage"? Should we follow their customs too? What about the cultures that marry off their daughters as soon as they hit puberty to some older man? Or the ones where rape is just an accepted activity or the family just "looks the other way". My point is, just because "some" other cultures don't do it, doesn't make it abuse. I consider what they do to be abuse, but they don't. I am not going to let those cultures set the standards for me and my family.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 9:01 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• i am the first one to admit i spank my children. I grew up with a switch on my bottom and i learned to respect my elders and those in authority. dont get me wrong I would never switch my children but a swat on the bottom does not hurt them. should we marry them off at the age of eight just because the other countries do?
    silverdawn99

Answer by silverdawn99 at 9:11 AM on Jul. 27, 2009