Play sets

I am wanting to get my 3 yr old a play set, but I want your opinions on what you think is better.
What play set do you have and what is your opinion on it? Would you buy a different one how long did it last? etc..
Wooden, plastic, medal, etc...

1lilgirl

Asked by 1lilgirl at 8:43 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• I dont have this one yet, but I am thinking of buying the one at walmart that is $399. Its a cedar set and it has a rock wall, 2 swings, a little house, a slide, ect. Go online and look at it. In the store, they have one that is similar, but not the exact same one. I asked around and several of the employees have said they like it and the reviews online are good too. I do hear that its time consuming to put together. Thats the only one I have researched. I would stay away from the metal ones...they dont last.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:50 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• From experience the wooden ones are the best so long as pressure treated wood is used and it is regularly maintained - making sure there are no splinters sticking out.
    The problem with plastic is that it cracks over time.
    The other problem with both plastic and metal is that they heat up in the summer so that they are unbearably hot and can burn a child.
    These are just my opinions from experience, though. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:52 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Also the plastic ones, build up static electricity. The Weather channel did a report on the heat that playsets give off on a hundred degree day, and the plastic and metal ones both got hot enough to cause not just burns but third degree burns.

From personal experience, metal slides are the best, just use common sense when you allow your kids to use them or hose them down first! Obviously in the middle of a really sunny afternoon isn't goint to be the best time The wooden ones are nice, but they can get expensive. The best set I ever saw was homemade using metal piping. It was just a set of swings, and set into a huge concrete pad (obviously not the best material) but it held it in place and had a swing for every child they had. (5) most playsets have only one or two swings. Watch kids at the playground at the park. The most played on pieces are the merry go round and the slides and the swings.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Anyone have problems w/ splinters on the wooden play sets?
    1lilgirl

Answer by 1lilgirl at 11:10 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I looked in to buying a wood one, but my brother bulit one for a lot cheaper and bigger. I have a friend that has a pre-made wood one going on 2 years now and it still looks like day one when she got it. The other ones seem to be out grown realy fast cause they are either made for toddlers or older kids but not much use after the age of 6 or 7 do to the size. I would go wooden. Also I will upload a picture of what the one looks like that we made.

hollinicole

Answer by hollinicole at 11:24 AM on Jul. 27, 2009