• In the Spotlight:

Is it better to have your baby (up to 1 years old) in a crib in your room, in a crib in a seperate room, or in your bed with you?

What do you think is better for them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think every situation is different. My son slept in a crib in my room from birth to 5 months, then slept in a crib in his room from 5-9 months and then from 9 months- 2 1/2 he slept in our bed. As long as you take precautions for each of this options then whatever works best for your family is what is best for your child.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:02 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Just depends. My son slept with us for the first 6 months, then started wiggling around too much so I put him in his crib in his room. I like having him in another room because this way when he wakes up he can't see us so he just goes back to sleep. When he was in our room and would wake up early, he would get all wound up and think it was time to play.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My LO slept with us for the first 2 weeks and I didn't sleep. We then moved her to her room where she has been ever since. She sleeps great and for more than 12 hours every night. I think you have to do what is best for you and your child.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:47 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• i think its better for them to be in their own crib, in their own room.
    Mama2Joshy

Answer by Mama2Joshy at 10:17 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Well, the AAP says at least in the parents room. I've looked into SIDS statistics (for an unrelated reason) and apparently about 90% of cases are in a separate room.

I put my babies in my bed. Then I put them in a bed in my room. Then I evaluate and see how it's going, rather than deciding what I think is best, and forcing my baby to figure it out. We take every precaution with cosleeping, such as having separate blankets and one pillow, and we practice safe crib sleeping, too.

I think people should pay attention to what their baby needs. Currently, my ten month old needs her own bed, and a separate room (her 2 year old sister's room). She sleeps best in there. So, it's not MY preference, but it's where she sleeps best, and her sister's sleep is unchanged.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:28 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Every situation is diff. If you breastfeed, co-sleeping or bassinet by bed works best usually. But if you/husband drinks or takes sleep meds, it's not safe for baby to co-sleep. There is no right or wrong to this, it's what is best and safe for you and baby.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 10:37 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• There are some people who are 100% for co-sleeping, 100% for sleeping in the same room and 100% for sleeping in another room. It does not depend on the situation, it all depends on the parent and child. If you and your child feel more comfortable in one of these situations over the other 2 than I say go for it. The baby is only 1 and you do have time to work out other options.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:17 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• It depends. Parenting doesn't follow a checklist. Every kid is different and responds to different methods. Each method has it's pros and cons. Until 2 months, my daughter was in a bassinete in my room. Then she mvoed to her crib with the baby montior. Overtime, I was able to turn it off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My kids were in a bassinet in our room for the first 2 months and then they were in their crib in their bedroom.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:57 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Bassinet/crib in the parents' room for the first few months, then move the crib into their own room after that.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 1:13 PM on Jul. 27, 2009