Are "attachment parenting" moms doing their kids more harm or good?

Like ones that breastfeed past 1 year, and sleep with their babies, and use slings and carriers all the time instead of strollers, and things like that?

Is it good for the children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it very much depends on the personality of the kids and the parents. I would think the test is how does the kid do away from the parent. If the parent has too strong a personality and the kid seems lost without the parent that would indicate a problem to me. If the kid seems well adjusted and takes certain risks that would be age appropriate, but runs back to mom if he falls down and gets hurt, but then goes back to his play then that child has been given a firm foundation, and will be fine.  Some kids are easier than others. Some kids are difficult no matter what you try.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• No one is a perfect parent and we all do the best we know how. We all do things differantly and for the most part there is really no right or wrong answer. With a question like that it looks like you are looking for a fight. You aren't very likely to get a straight answer. You are going to just have people who complain because they don't like that kind of parenting or women who are mad because that is what they do and they shouldn't have to defend themselves.
    MommyTails

Answer by MommyTails at 9:18 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Its recommended you breastfeed atleaste until age 2!! So I dont understand where you get age 1 from. By co-sleeping everyone gets more sleep, babies thrive off of skin contact! have you ever met a baby who didnt like to be held?! They are inside you for 9mo & suddenly you think its best they are 2 rooms away from your smell, from your body heat?!
    Its not the attached parents anyone should worry about.. its the DE-tached parents! So many parents prop bottles up with pillows, use the CIO method, let their babies sit in swings all day not wanting them to get "spoiled from being held to much" , parents who think babies should sleep all night, THESE parents are who scare me.. THESE parents are the ones who are letting their babies feel alone when they are the most helpless & need the most love & affection!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:34 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I breastfed 18mo. Co sleep. hold my child all the time (shes almost 3) we didnt use a sling because the one i bought dd never liked & i didnt know how to work a moby wrap at the time... I dont really label my parenting style. I just try to be as caring, nurturing & loving to my child as possible. Yes I got the "shes going to get spoiled" "shes going to be stuck on your side" "shes not going to learn independence" ......YA RIGHT! My dd is great with going away from me. She loves visiting with family with me not around... she doesnt fear talking to people & she is VERY independent. IMO growing a child in a secure, loving, supportive environment ( alot like AP) makes their esteem grow & they learn to be independent .. Kids who dont get proper attention are the ones who tend to either be super clingly (since they never get it, they are trying to express their need for love/touch)..

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:43 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I don't understand how people think AP could be a bad thing. You might not like to parent that way but it doesnt mean its a poor way to parent or bad for the child.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 9:45 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• There is no one definition of attachment parenting. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attachment_parenting for more info.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:46 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• How would any of those things harm a baby? What do you think people in most of the world through out most of history did? Don't think I'm being defensive because honestly I don't do any of those things, I just don't see how it could possibly harm them, in fact I think it's probably better for them. I just can't sleep with a baby, I don't enjoy breastfeeding so I'm eager to quit by the time my children are 1, and just haven't used carriers much, although I do hold my babies a lot.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 9:46 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Compare my child with yours in twenty years and you'll wish you had used more attachment parenting.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:08 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I have to agree with apexmommy.

The World Health Organization, operating without the influences of the dairy, formula and porn industries (unlike American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months.

My daughter hated being in a stroller and loved seeing the world from the high view of the backpack. I took the stoller on public transit once; once was one time too many.

My question to the OP is what is damaging about baby-wearing, cosleeping, and breastfeeding? My daughter is almost 14, and loves being at overnight camp for four weeks.. She is smart, kind, compassionate, has an excellent grasp of world events and is probably more politically aware and active than you are; she is also pretty darn cute.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:16 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• i dont think it benefits the children, but that is JMO.
    Mama2Joshy

Answer by Mama2Joshy at 10:17 AM on Jul. 27, 2009