Do you call to check the results of your lab tests?

A review of more than 5,000 medical records from doctors' offices across the nation revealed that bad test results were not reported to patients 7 percent of the time. What do you think?

Theonion.com

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• josiesmommy00- Most records are dealt with electronically now. And most nurses have no problem hitting a button to email a report to a doc. Lazy nurses get by with MAs who don't hold them accountable... JMO

I did that job too- "lazy" is subjective. What I saw was a single mom who cared about her patients but was sometimes distracted on a very human level. That's when you grow a pair and say "Hey, I just noticed we were behind, have we call Mr. Patient X yet about this or has the doc seen it? I'd be happy to help..."

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 10:05 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Stop reading Theonion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Stop reading Theonion.

Ok I wll. What about my question? OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I think we should if we don't hear in the time that the doctor or technician had told us. Too often the offices don't get my results. So ask how long it should take and if they are going to call you or if you should call them. If they are supposed to call you and don't, then call them. One of my doctors used to say if you don't hear then it was good news. These days I wouldn't accept that but would call. I remember back then listening for the phone to ring because I was nervous about test results.

Answer by Bmat at 9:16 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I think every patient should have enough sense to follow up with their doctor to find out what their test results were. If you were given bad or false results even at 7% of the time, it's called an error. And doctors account for 10,000 deaths each year by mistakes and negligence. You want perfection from imperfect people in an imperfect world. It happens, get over it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• it's called lazy nurses, i've worked as a medical assistant for a while and we get the records bak from the lab in a couple of days (a week max)... some of the nurses are just too lazy to pull the chart and put it on the doctor's desk.. if the results are bad, he/she gives the chart back to the nurse for her to make the phone call
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:23 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I weep for people who still don't understand that The Onion is satire, basically MAD Magazine for grown ups.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:23 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I just got off the phone, calling the doctor I'll be seeing on Thursday, checking that the results of a test I had last Monday are in, and they are. Thank you for the reminder. I don't need the results right away, it was a routine test following something the doctor noticed, but I do want him to have the results when I am there so he can check them, rather than not have them and not be able to decide on treatment due to lack of test results. I've had this happen too many times, not with this doctor but with others- that they don't have the results. Last year I even called and they read the results, and it turned out to be the results from a test a month before- not even the more recent one. So now I also ask for the date of the test that they are referring to.

Answer by Bmat at 9:28 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• NotPanicking, Forget about The Onion. I think that my question is legitimate. OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Forget about The Onion. I think that my question is legitimate. OP

You're quoting a made up statistic from a joke. And what's worse is you're passing that joke on to other people as fact. Obama, is that you?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:30 AM on Jul. 27, 2009