Without Big Government Intervention??????

Ford posts quarterly profit.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/23/AR2009072303614.html

Ford executives now say the automaker is on track to return to annual profitability in 2011. …
Ford’s gains were aided by rapid cost cutting in the second quarter. Ford reduced its debt obligations by $10.1 billion, which will save the company more than $500 million a year in interest expense. It raised $1.6 billion by issuing common stock. The company said it also cut “structural” costs by $1.8 billion, in part by eliminating 1,000 U.S. hourly jobs through buyouts. …
Under Mulally, Ford appears to be building better cars and trucks, analysts said. The Ford Fiesta, which launches in the United States next year, is now Europe’s second-best-selling car.

Is there something to be said for letting the free market and a corporation work itself out without BIG government intervention?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 9:11 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The only Ford I like is the Mustang...... Being a GM only car owner for my entire life (family's life), I am disgusted with Government Motors. However, If FORD stays on track~ I would be willing to reconsider some new models when/if they come out.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:14 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Good for Ford: American Owned. Not Owned by America.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I'm happy, but it still doesn't change that the transmission crapped out in my Windstar just like it did in every other Windstar of everyone I know that had one :p
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:25 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• American Owned. Not Owned by America

This should be Ford's new Tagline for Commercials.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:33 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

We have a windstar with over 100 thou miles and the tranny is fine. Sorry about your luck.

And around here companies that make ford parts are calling people back. Gm suppliers are in the toilet working skeleton crews and shutting down every other week.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:41 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Most definately! I was thinking the other day after I heard Ford come out with projections that I hadn't heard a thing about Government moters and how they were getting along. Guess no news is good news for them. I'm thinking there is no real good news so thats why we get no news.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:53 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Good for Ford!
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:09 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Yay Ford! I agree they need to use this... American Owned. Not Owned by America... for the new tagline.

I have only owned a few Ford's but if they come out with some good one's FORD it will be!
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:18 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Of course it's better to let the free market rule the economy.

What is efficient about collecting money FROM one place, channelling it through various agencies and accountants, funnelling it to OTHER agencies and accountants to get it disbursed to needy people - who ALSO have had to be investigated and cleared by MORE agencies and accountants ... ??

How about we skip the hundreds of steps, leave the money IN the economy, and let it CREATE JOBS and charitable donations. THAT would help the needy people - and 100% of it would be working in the economy, instead of 70% of it getting clogged up in the gov't.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:11 PM on Jul. 27, 2009