Is it normal for a first born to be early?

I'm Jack Ellis and my wife is in labor now, Faith. We are having our firstborn son. Is it normal for him to be early? He's due August 3rd and we are at the hospital now. I just wanna know. Thanks, and this will be the last time i'm on this thing. They need a cafe dad! lol

newmommy81

Asked by newmommy81 at 9:12 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• there is no "normal" sorry dad.... baby's just come whenever they are ready too. Also due dates are more of an estimation. Congrats to you and mommy!
    angelbabies14

Answer by angelbabies14 at 9:14 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• don't worry, he's "on time" .the due date can be a little off, my 1st was born 3 weeks early and was a very healthy 9lb 3oz baby girl.... GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:20 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• It's not that early, I'm sure he's fine. Probably just bored, lol!
    Live4HerSmile

Answer by Live4HerSmile at 10:09 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Mine was 3.5 weeks early and he was fine

Answer by admckenzie at 10:18 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• congrats!!!
    the average for first time mom's is 41wks 3days. so, no. it's not the "norm" for first time mom's. EDD can be off by 2 wks. that's why they're just "estimates."
    my son was born at 37wk5d.
    was she induced or was it spontaneous labor?
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 10:24 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• due date are off alot of the time...37 weeks is considers full term....but a healthy baby is usually born between 38 and 42 weeks....my son was 6 weeks early and spent 6 days in the nicu....so i mean my first was born early, and this is my second and im due in 18 days...your wife and baby will be fine... just support her....
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 10:32 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• only 10% of babies born in the US are born before 34 weeks [aka premature] i happen to fall in that 10% but most first time babies are late
    RAGUmomof2

Answer by RAGUmomof2 at 10:49 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My son, 5 now, was a week late. And I fell down the stairs and sent myself into labor that day... lol... oops. But my baby girl.... 10 months now, was 2 weeks early. Due to a repeat c-section. Both were born perfectly healthy. Don't worry.... he will be fine. I wouldn't wanna be in a crowded tummy for too long either.... :) Congratulations!
    shyne4584

Answer by shyne4584 at 11:21 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• No, it's not "normal", but it's not completely abnormal either. GL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Jul. 27, 2009