stuck between a roach and a hard spot!!

I have family that lives a few hours away. Their are 11 of them and as of now they r living in a 1 bedroom apt. I let their kids take turns coming over to spend the week at our house. The kids look up to me so much and I love then dearly but when I went to pick them up they had roaches crawling all over their apt. I am not talking a few, I am talking dropping off the ceiling. After they left our house we seen a roach. I am supposed to pick up the last child on Friday, but I cant afford to get roached nor do I want to. I just dont know what to do. I dont want to tell him he cant come but I also need to think of my family. I thought about calling and telling them we seen a few and if he wants to come he cannot bring any electronics and only a sack with clothes and we will wash all of them after we get to my house. I dont want to offend them BUT>>>>>>

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Honesty works.
    Sometimes it is hard to do; but, it is always what is right.
    They know they have roaches and they probably know that they crawl into electronics and clothes.
    Why not give the kids a chance to be free of it for a while.
    If you have the love you claim...then a little bug should not come between that. Right?
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 9:38 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Combine cucumber skins with chopped bay leaves.Sprinkle around the roaches usual hangout. You can also try combining equal parts oatmeal,flour, and plaster of paris and leaving it out for the roaches. Just keep away from young kids. You can try dried chrysanthemums as well. Another good thing to try is equal parts powdered sugar and baking soda. The sugar attracts them and the baking soda kills them. Hedge apples that have been cut in half and placed in cabinets and other hiding places works too. If your family is in an apartment they need to contact management for pest control. There is no reason for them to live in such conditions. Any of the above should help keep your home safe from pests as well.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:43 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• """Honesty works.
    If you have the love you claim...then a little bug should not come between that. Right?"""

PLease dont try to make me sound like a bad person.........

I do LOVE the kids but no I cannot afford to have roaches. To me that is completley unsanitary and I dont want my kids living in a situation like that!!! It has nothing to do with me not loving the kids. It has to do with me loving my kids and wanting them to live in sanitary conditions. So please dont bash me!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I'm not bashing, Just tell them the truth~ Have them bring a sak of clothes(Wash and dry immediately) No electronics! Roaches love to crawl in tiny areas like that! The neighbor girl has roaches and she spent the night ONE night and I'm still battling the f*ckers! I mean there's only been like one or two every other week or so, but I HATE HATE HATE roaches!!!)
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 1:18 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I UNDERSTAND YOU HATE ROACHES, I DO TOO, BUT OFFER TO SPRAY THEIR HOUSE TO GET RID OF THEM THEN MAYBE THE PROBLEM WON'T BE SO BAD, AND YOUR PROBLEM WILL BE SOLVED TOO. THEY ARE DISGUSTING CRAWLING BUGS, BUT DON'T LET THEM KEEP YOU AWAY FROM THOSE KIDS YOU LOVE. THEY WON'T BE OFFENDED IF YOU SUGGEST SPRAYING, AFTER ALL IF THEY ARE CRAWLING FROM THE CELILING THEY SHOULD BE AWARE OF THE PROBLEM TOO AND WOULD PROBABLY BE THANKFUL FOR A SOLUTION.

Answer by older at 1:27 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Our home has roaches - and it's not related to filth like some might suspect. Ours were so bad at one point that we had no choice but to resort to chemical means - none of the homeopathic or herbal things were working b/c there was just too many of them. I started storing everything in plastic baggies b/c they will eat paper. Now, we only see one or two every once in a while.

I would suggest that you talk openly and candidly with them - you obviously care deeply for them. Maybe even ask if they need help with ridding their home of the pests - they're obviously aware of it, but may be too embarrassed to address it, and possibly can't afford what they need to get rid of them.

I would also suggest that you plan something special for the night they come. Bring a bag from home and have them put clothes in there, and tell them they don't need their electronics b/c you are going to do a movie-marathon or something.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:31 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Haha . . . Older beat me to it! :-)
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:32 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I have also heard that any kind of red pepper will kill them.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 4:43 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• i would go with the bag o clothes and that is it.
    Anonymous

• BORIC ACID. kills them every time and you won't have a problem. You love those kids. Hate the roaches. That is a normal thing. BORIC ACID is a white powder you can put down behind your stove and fridge and if you would happen to get a roach in the house which is highly likely, BORIC ACID.

I swear by the stuff. My husbands job is maintainance of rental appartments and rental home for a guy in town who has 40 properties. Our house, while not a mansion is nice and I don't want roaches either. Well some of the places my husband has to fix back up, after the tenants either move out or are kicked out, have roaches. I don't want them in my house. I don't know anyone who would. BORIC ACID, Been using it for years and I have never had a roach problem.

Now, either my husband has been lucky enough not to have carried one off in his coveralls, or the Boric Acid really works.
    Anonymous