How do I neutralize the stinking swamp smell on my dog?

One of my dogs took off in a field yesterday. Part of the field was swamp. When he came back he had a strong odor like rotting fish on a beach. It definitely is NOT skunk. I shampooed him twice and the odor stays. He has short Boston-terrier type fur. Any suggestions for eliminating the smell?

Whimsee

Asked by Whimsee at 9:33 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Pets

• In this month's issue of the Bark magazine they have a recipe for getting rid of skunk smell. Even though that isn't the smell, I would think that if it gets out skunk smell, it should get out any other smelly smells, too.

You'll need:
    A clean plastic bucket to mix the ingredients, 1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide (usually sold in pint bottles, so you'll need two, use of other strengths is not recommended), 1/4 cup baking soda (do NOT use washing soda which will burn your dog's skin), 1 to 2 teaspoons of liquid detergent (softsoap and Ivory liquid are preferred.)

How to use it:
    Apply to dry dog, working well into the fur. Let stand about 5 min. then rinse with tepid water. Repeat if necessary. Do not store this mixture, it loses it's effectiveness and more importantly it releases oxygen gas and the container could explode. It may bleach the dog's hair (but better that than the smell)
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:18 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Also, once the dog's clean... make sure you get any sprays from Petco or Petsmart to eliminate the smell from the carpet and furniture... just make sure you keep spraying until it's gone and wash whatever you can as many times as needed
    TheJBug

Answer by TheJBug at 10:21 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• maybe spray on some vinegar. Or sprinkle some baking soda into their coat and comb out.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:16 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Thanks for the tips! I will start with the vinegar and move on to the recipe if needed.
    Whimsee

Answer by Whimsee at 4:05 PM on Jul. 27, 2009