Bleeding after giving birth

My son is almost 6 weeks old and I am still bleeding, not heavy but I am worried. Is this normal?

2nd question: my baby is gassy and burps a lot and dr recommended lactose free formula, does that mean my baby is actose intollerant??

tjandjenna

Asked by tjandjenna at 9:38 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Health

• I have three kids. I bled dark red and heavy for over 8 weeks with each of my children. It sucked. I complained to the doctors had ultrasounds done was told nothing left behind ect, ect. All 3 times I had to take super strong hormones to stop. Only to have it end then get my first period like 3 days later. You 6 week postpartum appointment should be coming up just tell the doctor your concerns. Now don't panic I was told I was a very rare case and come to find out after my third I had fiberoids.

As for the fomula sorry no clue.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:42 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Q1: Call your OB and talk with a nurse about the bleeding. A lot of bleeding is normal, but they'll be able to determine if it's more than it should be.

Q2: Not necessarily. They'd prefer you try a lactose-free milk-based formula before a soy-based one. The lactose may not be an issue, and the gassiness may just go away in another month or so on its own.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:42 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I never tore or anyting but i did pass a lemon size blood clot the day after i had my son, they said if i had anymore to let them know...there was only one more after that
    tjandjenna

Answer by tjandjenna at 9:45 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• About you the bleeding yes that is normal, as long as your not clotting I bleed for almost 2 1/2 months after having my DD. About the LO my DD had really bad gas and burp bad and she also had the hiccups like crazy her doctor took her off the iron simalac(sp) and she was put on enfamil gentalease fussiness and gas and I have to tell you it was like I had a new baby with-in 2 days. You may want to try that some babys bellys are just so senative to forumla that you may have to try a more broken down witch is the gentalease. If you have any more questions about what i wrote pls email me and I will try to help you. I know what your going thur right now and you feel very helpless. I did!
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:53 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• i cant believe they didnt tell you that at the hospital! shame on them, its completely normal!
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 10:02 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• yes, it's completely normal. but, if you're concerned, call your dr.
    as for formula, formula is very hard for babies to digest. so, you might go through several diff kinds before you find the right one. you'll probably keep changing until your baby reaches 1 and then you start your baby on whole milk.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 10:33 AM on Jul. 27, 2009