My 3 yr. old daughter has just started potting training about 2 weeks ago. All is great except the poop part. she refuses to use the potty when it comes to that time. i have tried the reward thing i did the time out thing for 3 mins but everything seems to be failing. What should I do?

how do i get her to use the potty when she needs to poop?

jessica_vandyke

Asked by jessica_vandyke at 7:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2008 in General Parenting

• 2 weeks isn't very long. Give her time. Try to keep your response positive and give her the impression that you *know* she will get it, because she will. Both of my kids liked to make poop in their diaper and dump in into the toilet themselves before they started making it in the potty. My daughter went thru a phase where she wanted to sit in her diaper on the potty to make poop before she made the transition. It may be especially difficult for your daughter if she is used to standing up to poop in her diaper. She may need to stand up over the potty or do something else that I haven't thought of. Ask your daughter if she has a preference.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 8:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• First dont punish her that will just upset her more. IT is a TRAINING process...it takes time. Two weeks is NOT that long! Just keep her in underwear. Eventually she will get the hang of it. Perhaps pick out a special toy at the store buy it and put in up on the fridge. She can have it after she poos in the potty for a set amount of days!
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 8:04 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• yes, 2 weeks in not a long time.
    keep her in underwear, she will learn when she is ready.
    my daughter would poop in her diaper as soon I put it on to go to bed, and I had to change her again to go to sleep, but going to school help.
    Lalesca

Answer by Lalesca at 8:46 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• That's very normal. Just give it some more time, she's still in the beginning stages.
    Ryanswife06

Answer by Ryanswife06 at 1:31 AM on Jun. 23, 2008