my son again

My son is eleven years old. He has a serious back problem that confines him to a bed for the next 5 months. His doctor suggested adult diapers, "Attends"He's been there for about 2 months changing himself but he is sleeping more and getting weaker. . I still don't know, do I change him or should he change himself? I don't know what's appropriate. please help!

MissLisa7657

Asked by MissLisa7657 at 10:02 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think that if he can do it himself then allow him to do it then he has the independents of that at least. I hope he is feeling better very soon. Of course as a mommy you want to do it for him and all but allow him to have the independents.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 10:08 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• It is your responsibility to make sure that he remains dry and free of rash. You need to talk with your son and work out with him how the two of your will maintain his privacy while you change him. It has to be done and because of his age, it has to be a private matter that only you and he share - and will probably never talk about again. But for your child's sake - you gotta do this.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 10:09 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Oh dear, the poor little soul. I'd say, keep good open communication with him, let him make that decision but monitor his cleanliness and make sure he knows you're doing that to help him. Best of wishes to you, Mama. This is not an easy path.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 12:01 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• did ur dr say anything about rang of motion therpy? rang of mostion is rotatin his arm in both directions, open and closeing his hands, rotating his wrist hisl eg just move them up and downand rotate his ankles this therpy will help ur son remain his strengh and it will help prevent muscle wast. as far as teh attends go just explain to ur son that ur r concern about his well being and u want to make sure his skin isnt breaking down and creating bed sores. if u can it might help to have his dad,a male relitive or a male neighbor to do it to ease his anxiety if his butt and privates are the littles pink go out and buy destint diaper cream wash his area with baby wipe or soap and water and appliy the cream. the pink mean his skin is breaking down. also he needs to be be repositiones every two hours this will help to prevent pressure sores. repostition con..
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 12:22 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• is moving to his back, then to his left side, and then to his right side if he is able to do this. if he get to the point whee he cant go in got he shower and get wshed up u can do a bed bath. u do it just how it sounds take a basina nd 2 wash clothes soap and towl and wash him up. for his hair i would use waterless shampoo unless he can sit ina chair and then u can wash his hair over a sink i hope this information will help u if u have any question about anything write me and i'll see what i can do...btw im a cna and so aint my hubby we have ran across people who feel embaressed about haveing someone else helping them with basic hygen. i use the distartion technic to get people to relax the one that help is that i say yeah u might be embarressed but i know one day i'll be in ur shoes so i mise well get pratice...this usally makes them laugh
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 12:27 PM on Jul. 27, 2009