My 6 month old was a very good sleeper but is now waking up every hour or two throughout the night. Any advice on what we can do to help him sleep through the night again?

He cries out during the night and sometimes he will fall back to sleep but closer to morning, he wakes and is quite fussy. He is teething but the teeth appear to have broken through so not sure if this is the cause, but it certainly may be!

kcs411

Asked by kcs411 at 10:06 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 6 months is growth spurt time. Baby is probably waking to feed because during a growth spurt extra feedings may become necessary for a time. Hang in there this too shall pass.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I was there! My son was an excellent sleeper until the teething started. Until the teething stopped he hardly ever slept thru the night. He is 16 months now and has all the baby teeth and has been sleeping thru the night for a few months. I have no advice sorry. Nothing helped him during those 8 months.
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 11:06 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Is your baby teething? My son got up feequently after sleeping 10 to 12 hr stretches at night but only when teething I would numb his gums and he would eventually go back to sleep?
    ALDmama

Answer by ALDmama at 11:28 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• A little tylenol and a feeding.
    Anonymous

• Best book on sleeping. "Solve your child's sleep problem" by Dr. Richard Ferber. Saved my life! He talks about how sleep works, sleep habits and what to do about sleep problems. Very informative and the method absolutely works. My son did not sleep through the night until 6 months and with the book he slept through the night the FIRST night! After about 5 days we had a regular sleep schedule established with nap time and everything!
    FloridaB

Answer by FloridaB at 12:02 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Good luck :) My daughter slept through the night from 2 to 4 months, which is when she started teething. She's now almost 18 months and still doesn't sleep through the night. Granted, she has tummy issues and gas problems, especially at night, so that tends to wake her up.
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 12:20 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Thank you all! My baby is teething and he also has had problems with gas since birth so it looks like I may have a long while before we return to full nights sleep! I will check out the book you referred FloridaB. Thank you so much!
    kcs411

Answer by kcs411 at 12:24 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Be careful with Dr. Ferber's method (a) it is extremely controversial (studies showing negative side effects immediate & in the future) (b) even Dr. Ferber himself says not to use his method during teething.

Anonymous

• Also check out "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley.

There's no catchall for all babies and changes in sleep patterns are normal.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:09 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Give him that feeding when he gets up and he'll probably just go right back to sleep. Hes going through a growth spurt. Increase his ounces as well during the day. After about a month of that, talk to his Ped first, If hes growing ok, try giving him water at night instead of formula. You will avoid bottle rot and it might change his mind about waking up at night. Worked for us!
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 1:32 PM on Jul. 27, 2009