who was rude?

is it rude for someone to come up to me at a bench in a mall and ask me not to change my son there?
or was it rude of me to change my son at a semi-public bench.
(btw, the ladies room was out of order)

MissLisa7657

Asked by MissLisa7657 at 10:13 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• u were
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I don't think either one of you were wrong but I'm just one of those people that I would rather not see someone changing their child in the middle of public. I'm sure you'd clean up the mess but I just don't think it's appropriate. I'm not going to be rude about it and I don't get offended but there are plenty of places to change your child other than on a bench in the middle of the mall. BUT I don't think either one of you were "wrong".
    TheJBug

Answer by TheJBug at 10:19 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I don't think its a big deal to change your child on a bench in the mall, sometimes you have to do what you have to do. I think she was rude. She can feel however she likes, but to actually walk up to you and have the balls to confront you is totally unneccessary. What did you say to her?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:39 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I dont think she should have been rude to you about it, but if I needed to change my son and the restroom at the mall was out of order, I would go to a different restroom (surely there are more than one!!) or gone into a dressing room....which I what I have done on occasion. Some strollers also lean back far enough, maybe you could have used that if yours does, or if you even had the stroller with you! Maybe next time, try to find another option, rather than in the middle of a shopping mall on a bench...which is not only dirty for the people who sit there after you, but also for your son, unless you had a changing pad.

Again, she shouldnt have been rude to you, at alL!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 11:12 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• if the bathroom was out of order, what else were you supposed to do? Run to the car and change him in the heat? I might have done it in the stroller if it was reasonable to do so to keep it a bit better hidden, but otherwise I think I would have done the same thing. Where there any other bathrooms? You said it was a mall.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• OMG!! If you gotta change you have got to change them tell the old hag to find something worth complaing about!!
    ALDmama

Answer by ALDmama at 11:26 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• if i can watch some chick breastfeed you can watch my change a diper. we use to change my daughter on the trunk of the car.
    16thmoon

Answer by 16thmoon at 11:38 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• i would of asked someone to clear the mens bathroom for a few minures and chande my kid there or i would of went in to a store and asked the clerk if u could use the office or another private room...but yeah she was rude she didnt know ur situation
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 12:06 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I wouldn't say that either of you were wrong per se. While I don't think the lady should've gone up to you and scolded you for changing your son on the bench, I don't think that you should've changed him on the bench. Surely the mall has more than 1 restroom...
    Anonymous

• Breastfeeding and diaper changing are not the same thing. While I have no issue with seeing you change your child what if (especially a boy) decided to squirt everywhere? I would much rather have that happen in the bathroom then on a public bench which if you are the type to change your child there you probably wouldn't clean it up if they squirted either. You were rude for changing your child on the bench, but she was also rude for saying what she did.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:19 PM on Jul. 27, 2009