HP readers

Bought the books for the kid this week, but never read any of them before seeing the movies. If you read the books before the movies, how close was the casting to what you pictured in your head before the movies existed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• The casting is actually kind of close actually, but then the author had a huge say in the casting so they are very close to what she envisioned. The most seamless of any book/ movie combo I've ever come across. Happy reading! Trust me you will enjoy the books a bit better. There's more detail and certain things wil make better sense.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 10:53 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• The casting is accurate for most characters. I can't remember which ones, but I've noticed some that are WAY different from the book. But it's been awhile since I've read them.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:20 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• The main characters are cast exceptionally well--the three children, Dumbledore (both of them), Hagrid, the Dursleys, McGonagal. Snape is excellent. Many of the other children are great & you will see them from the first movie to the sixth (Malfoy, Crabbe, Goyle, Longbottom, Finnegan, Thomas, & the Weasleys). But other kids seem to pop up out of nowhere--there is a character named Nigel in the 3rd or 4th movie who is not in any of the books. The general stories track perfectly but the scenes are not exactly the same as they had to leave out a few things & also added a few scenes. Plus, some things are slightly out of order or simplified. I think it is because the stories unfold so carefully in the books but there just isn't time to fully explain everything in the movies.

Even if they have seen the movies, most kids would love the books anyway. The books are very funny & enjoyable. Have fun!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:31 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I think the casting is pretty close to what I expected. Have the kids read the books, they are much better than the movies. I read the first one out loud to my son. I even had him share the reading with me. He would read a page and then I would read a couple of pages.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:39 AM on Jul. 27, 2009