How do you let go?

Today was the first day of school here (my kids are in year round) and my 7 year old (3rd grade) tells me that she's too old for me to walk into her classroom with her and she wants to do it by herself. I let her - of course after she had gone in and sat down I poked my head around the door to make sure she was okay, and I talked to her teacher out in the hall. But I had SUCH a hard time letting her go, it almost felt like the first day I was dropping her off for Kindergarten. How do you let them go and know when they're ready?

Asked by missanc at 10:24 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You have to know when it is time.
    Our school doesn't allow parents to walk kids to classrooms, even on the first day of kindergarten. They don't want "strange" people wandering the halls. Parents drop the kids off at the door where teachers do the walking in. I would be concerned that your school allows this....
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 10:44 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• i normally work as an afterschool/summer program teacher (on mat. leave now) and you should hear what these kids say! they know that it is hard for parents to let go and they know that there parents don't want them to grow up. they don't know how to make it easier for their parents. i tell the kids to talk to their parents, just as if they would talk to their best friend that is hurt.

your child understands this and i bet she is silently sending her love to you but she knows when it is time, you have to trust that. always leave the line of comunication open for her because this is hard but really exciting for her too. share in her excitement and it will make it easier for you both. watch some finding nemo together and in the nerdiest voice tell her, "i believe in you nemo!" that way, you can say it and not make it serious but she'll understand. and pray.

don't forget that you two are a team in this. GL!
    spazlilsister

Answer by spazlilsister at 10:54 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I'm not even going to let my kids ride the bus till they are in middle school! I don't know about walking to class yet. My son starts kindergarden in Aug and my daughter Pre-k. If I did let them walk to class I would probably call the school to make sure they are in class. If they know where they are going then it might not be so hard. I am glad they are going to start school but it makes me sad how fast it got here. Just a little over 3 weeks til school starts!
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 9:29 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• You have to slowly let go when she is ready. Truthfully, Mom never lets go, mom never stops worrying, and mom will never stop wishing she could be there for every little moment. You just have to know when to give her the space she wants. My suaghter will be starting 2nd grade, and she will be riding the bus home, i am terrified to be honest. I'm scared that she won't get on the right bus or she will not know what bus stop to get off on. So this will be new for me.

When my daughter was in the primary school parents were allowed to walk them to class the first week. then after that they had to walk on their own. It basically is so the kids learn where their classroom is on their own without depending on someone to help them all the time. It sucked when she first started kindergarten but by the first week she was confident about when she was suppose to go. Plus they did have teachers in the hallway to direct them.
    smadar

Answer by smadar at 11:32 PM on Jul. 29, 2009