is it too early to have the baby at 36 weeks? What are the risks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes it's too early. The lungs may not fully be developed and you should go at least to your 40 weeks!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• my son was 6 weeks early and spent only 6 days in the hospital, he had a hard time keeping his oxygen levels up and spent his first night in an incubator and had a hard time bottle feeding, other than that he was healthy....weighing in at 4lbs 11oz....ever baby is different....i was lucky...alot of people who had there babies as early as i had mine spent 2-3 weeks in the nicu
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 10:35 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Take the time to read this...

http://www.marchofdimes.com/pnhec/188_1080.asp

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:37 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• ummm=to the anon poster- you need to do more research! Just for the record I have had babies early- it is LAME- BUT I am pregnant now and the dr's will NOT stop labor once I hit 36 weeks- i am on meds right now to prevent labor and I will continue them until I hit 36 weeks. So while the longer you cankeep a baby in the better- if this isn't a CHOICE thing, and baby is coming, you and baby should be okay....IF your baby can not suck or has heart issues it may end up in the NICU- and every baby is diff. in that case- hang in there and good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• baby's lungs are completely developed at 36 weeks. i had a 34 weeker and i am currently 34 wks and they will NOT stop my labor from this point on. it would be considered too risky. they also told me that with my first. i have already had all of the steroids, antibiotics and even an amnio to test baby #2's lungs. they were only a few points from passing at 33.2 weeks. their sucking reflex is also developed at 36 wks. my 34wker did NOT have a nicu stay & came home 2 days later with me. not everyone is that lucky. my water has also broke and resealed this time [which i didn't know was possible] but having a 36 wk baby is better than 32, 34. and also the nicu nurses were telling me they've had 38 wk babies that have had to stay in the nicu for weeks when a 34 wk baby went home....
    RAGUmomof2

Answer by RAGUmomof2 at 10:54 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I've had them that early and there was no problem

Answer by admckenzie at 11:02 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• 37 weeks is considered full time. I know there a point where they will not stop labor and sounds like the lady above knows or has researched. There can be complications of baby being tiny, underdeveloped lungs, jaundice (which is normal of term babies too). The tiny ones may need to stay in the hospital longer since they lose weight right off the bat and may need extra help staying warm. If you start going into labor too early they will stop the labor and give you a shot to help the lungs develope. It really depends on the child and the condition they are in. Also, utlrasound and due date are not always right so you could actually be 38 weeks or 35 and a half. You never know. You're baby would probably be very healthy at 36 weeks with just some minor concerns if you have been healthy and taking vitamins, going to prenatal visits, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Babies born between 34 and 36 6/7 weeks are considered, "late preterm". They may have respiratory issues, difficulty feeding, temperature instability and jaundice. They may spend time in the NICU.Later on, they may have developmental delays and learning dissabilities.

Some OBs do stop labor before 37 weeks. Some may even give you steroids if you go into labor before 37 weeks to help mature your babies lungs. Every OB practices different.

I had two 36 weekers. My first had all the problem I listed and spent 5 days in NICU. My second came home with me. They both had mild fine motor delays and still have problems with them today.

asiamommi

Answer by asiamommi at 11:16 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My Dr. told me your considered full term at 37 weeks, but I know every baby is different.
    Maya09

Answer by Maya09 at 11:21 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My son was born at 36 weeks excatly. He was fine. Had a birth defect that was fixed with surgery when he was 6 weeks old but he wouldve had the same thing had he been born at 40 weeks. My doctor said that 36 weeks and more if you go into labor you will be fine. Every baby is different and only time will tell but I wouldn't stress out about it.
    landensmommy411

Answer by landensmommy411 at 11:25 AM on Jul. 27, 2009