For Breastfeeding mom! OUCH!

My lo is 8 months old. He bit me while nursing for the first time this weekend. I tried telling him no and removing him but 4 times later he broke the skin. Ouch! I am fortunate enough that I am able to pump enough to keep up with him so I think that is the route I am going to take to spare myself any more pain. Just curious how some of you made it through this phase? Did you stick with nursing? What worked for your situation? How many times did it take for your lo to get the idea?

J.P

Asked by J.P at 10:50 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I stuck with it, it didnt last long. Every time he bit me we would quit. And the yelling in agony scared him. There was a few times I pumped for him just because I was scared to be bit. Hang in there and I think I was bit more as he was falling asleep so maybe watch for drowsiness and cut him off.
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 11:02 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I flick my kids cheek when they bite me. The 1st and 3rd learned very quickly not to chomp down. My 2nd took longer. He would quit biting me for that time of nursing, but then always had to try again!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:03 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• OUCH!
    My second was the only one that ever broke the skin. The pain was so bad and It felt like it would never heal. I tried everything, finally in desperation I grabbed some chapstick, the extra moisture one and slathered it on the nipple. It healed within 24 hours.
    I would yell out and abruptly take them off the breast and put it away the food. They all quickly learned not to bite.
    Good luck!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:14 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I pulled her off and said NO, very loudly and firmly; she cried, and never bit me again.
    She self-weaned at 23 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:04 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Well a lady at LLL told me to pull the child INTO the breast until they let go while you yell out in pain and then to put them down and not allow then to nurse for a few minutes. With my first it worked the first time, with my second it took 3 times and then not another bite after that!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:14 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• OP here-
    My son bit down and then jerked his head in the opposite direction. So not only did he bite but he raked his teeth across the enitre nipple. Since I started using the bottle I have seen him do the same thing with the bottle nipple. Brings tears to my eyes. Thanks but no thanks. I am way too nervous to try again. Not to mention still trying to heal. He is currently working on at least 2 possibly 3 top teeth. Luckily I have a huge supply frozen as well as I am able to pump enough daily. Thanks for the replys but I just don't think I am up for this challenge.
    J.P

Answer by J.P at 12:30 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Well my kids used to try and use me as a teething ring. However, when they did i would pop the suction by putting my finger to the back of there cheek and break the suction and tell them ouch then with a stern NO. Dont give up. Keep breastfeeding and dont let the biting stop you from the special time you have with your baby holding him/her close. There will be a day when you dont get that opportuntie again with that child. Hold on your preciouse little one will get the picture.
    Keeping you in prayers
    Neeka
    BlaxicanQueen

Answer by BlaxicanQueen at 2:24 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I am still nursing my 19 month old. Whe he bites, he's playing so I take him off. If he really wants to nurse, he won't bite. He has gotten the idea that biting means no nursing.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 2:37 PM on Jul. 27, 2009