Are you a church goer? (I need help)

I believe in GOD, I was Baptized Catholic. I have never been a "practicing" Catholic but I have always believed in GOD and never turned away from him. I know some prayers but not all of them. I dont know any hymns. I have always taught my kids about GOD and not that long ago I started going to church again. I am having my children baptized (better late than never) but I have no idea what to expect. I was given the rundown of the ceremony at the Baptism Class but I am so worried I am not going to know what to say. The deacon said the Father will ask us questions and then we need to answer and then he said he will ask us questions based on the Creed at Mass. What am I supposed to say. What kind of things will they ask me. I have never doubted my faith but now I am doubting my knowledge. What happened when you had your child/ren Baptized.

Any thoughts are appreciated. (please be kind)

Thank you in advance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The first Question is "what are you asking for your child". the answer. Baptism. Then after that question, the questions involve an I will or I do.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 12:29 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I am not Catholic, so I'm not sure how appropriate my answer will be. However, I cannot imagine that any church would want their parishioners to have questions about their belief system. It seems to me that if you were honest with the church elders and shared with them your situation and concerns/questions, they would welcome the opportunity to tell you why they believe what they believe and help ease your concerns. I do know that Catholics consider the catechism of baptism to be very important, and it seems to almost diminish that importance if you're not aware of the why's and hows of that ritual. So, I would make an appointment with a trusted advisor and listen to what he/she has to say about the process. Good luck!
    wan2bprov31

Answer by wan2bprov31 at 10:59 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• When my children were Baptized he told us the answers before he asked the questions. Like he whispered "You're response will be 'I do' " and then he asked us the question. They are very self explanatory questions and answers besides that. You don't need extensive knowledge of the Church to answer them, I hadn't even converted yet when my children were Baptized and I had no problem at all. Good luck and congrats!
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 11:01 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• wan2bprov31: you're right, the sacrament of baptism is a big deal and that's why they require a class beforehand to understand what happens and the "why's" of it all. If you do have more concerns than were addressed in the class OP, you can definitely call your Parish office and ask to speak to the Priest or somebody who can answer any questions you have. Here's some info here as well with frequently asked questions that might be helpful. http://www.americancatholic.org/fEATURES/sACRAMENTS/Baptism.asp
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 11:16 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• If you dont' feel comfortable asking the priest what the questions will be, try "Googling" Creed of Mass or Catholic Baptism Questions. I'm always amazed at what I can find on the Internet.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 11:17 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• If you don't feel comfortable talking to the priest is there someone else in leadership you could talk to. I'm not Catholic and my particular denomination doesn't do child baptism. So I would ask someone in leadership of the particular parish.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:01 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My infant son was Baptized yesterday. I am not Catholic, I am Protestant/Presbyterian.

At any rate, infant Baptism is a solemn vow (covenant) made between the parents of the child, the church and God to raise the child in the Christian faith (it mirrors the sign of the old covenant, circumscision, which was performed on 8-day-old infants). You need to make sure you are aware of the questions you will be asked before-hand so that you actually agree with the vow you are making as it IS a covenant with God. If you have questions about paedobaptism, feel free to PM me. I know a little about how Catholicism views it and a lot about how Protestants view it. I really suggest talking to your priest and making sure you understand before making a vow like this. JMHO :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:14 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Im not Catholic, but go talk to the Priest before and ask these questions
    heathersmomm500

Answer by heathersmomm500 at 3:57 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• i think all the answers are yes like do you believe in god almighty
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 10:39 PM on Jul. 27, 2009