stuck between a roach and a hard place ( reposted in a different place)

I have family that lives a few hours away. Their are 11 of them and as of now they r living in a 1 bedroom apt. I let their kids take turns coming over to spend the week at our house. The kids look up to me so much and I love then dearly but when I went to pick them up they had roaches crawling all over their apt. I am not talking a few, I am talking dropping off the ceiling. After they left our house we seen a roach. I am supposed to pick up the last child on Friday, but I cant afford to get roached nor do I want to. I just dont know what to do. I dont want to tell him he cant come but I also need to think of my family. I thought about calling and telling them we seen a few and if he wants to come he cannot bring any electronics and only a sack with clothes and we will wash all of them after we get to my house. I dont want to offend them BUT>>>>>>

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Relationships

• the best way is stop having the things travel, whats at one house stays at that house. and id still get traps or something
    16thmoon

Answer by 16thmoon at 11:10 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• You need to find a way to be tactful with them somehow. Roaches carry a lot of yucky things on them, as you probably know. I think it might be wise to find a way to get their apartment pest control somehow? 11 people in a 1 bedroom apartment is not so great and most cities do not really allow that especially with kids involved. If she is living in an apartment managed by a property managment company, they have to treat the apartment. Also, the tenant must keep the apartment clean on their end too.
    I would not have the kids over until they cleaned their place up.
    upintrees

Answer by upintrees at 11:11 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I don't know much about roaches but it may not be a problem if they bring a couple with them. We had roaches in our apartment (they came after three apartments surrounding us lost their renters). Anyway, a few got packed when we moved to our house. For about a month I kept coming across a roach every now and then. 3 or 4 months later I even found one - dead. Anyway, they never became a colony or brought new roaches in. They died and that was the end of it. We have lived here 3 years and have had no roaches since those first few months.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:12 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I'd try something a bit sneaky with any/all stuff brought. I guess here's what I'd do personally:

Upon picking him up, toss his stuff in the back of your vehicle or trunk where you've laid out a opened up trash bag or perhaps a tarp. NOT on your vehicle carpeting.

Also have a few odds/ends in trunk.... 1 of which is an old 2 liter of soda.

Return home, send kids all inside and offer to carry his things in.

Pour soda on bag(s)

Bring everything inside oozing apologies that you had an old probably expired jug of pop back there with with the summer heat and bouncing around in the back, it finally exploded.

Wash all clothes 2 or 3 times in scalding hot water.

Keep any electronics locked in car for fear of damage from pop... they need to dry out for several days before turning them on to see if they still work. Assure him you'll replace anything you "broke" and will have plenty of fun and lots to do w
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:13 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• SHOES...my sil worked at a restaurant that had roaches....and as gross as it is-it IS legal by health department standards to have a couple roaches....she had to buy shoes for at work only and changed them at the door so as not to wear her "home" shoes in the diner. The eggs attach to the ridges of the shoes and redeposit in your home...especially if the person stepped on a female...and they are VERY difficult to get rid of...you may want to get advice from an exterminator
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• 11 in a 1 BR? That's against health rules. You should feel lucky it's just roaches and not lice. Unless you live outside the U.S. you might want to tell them the law say 2 ppl per bedroom NOT PER ROOM but per bedroom
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Why not offer to help clean up the place?
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 12:06 PM on Jul. 27, 2009