How much clothes is too much?

I need to declutter clothes FAST. Laundry is driving me CRAZY. We have TOO MANY CLOTHES. Is there anyone that's a great organizer and knows how to purge clothes really well? Can you give me some tips? I have a five year old son that is off the chart with his height so I am constantly buying him clothes to keep up with his growth and my two year old son is right on the mark so I have a lot of clothes for him in the future (My DH won't let me get rid of too many) My little girl is VERY tall and really REALLY skinny so when I find clothes she can fit I hold on to them but some of them are 2T and she is almost 5. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have 3 kids and another on the way. I hold on to most of the kids clothes. I bought clear bins at Target and pack them by size and sex. Coats and shoes are in seperate bins. We have beem blessed with a TON of hand me downs so I also have passed many on to people who can use them. When you get into 2T and above you need to keep more clothes simply because they will wear those longer. I usually keep all the socks, 3 or 4 pairs of jeans, 2 or 3 khakis, a couple of dress pants and dress shirts, probably a dozen long sleeved shirts, several sweats or grungy pants for playing, and about 8 shorts and a dozen short sleeved shirts. Grandparents always but the kids stuff each year so I weed out more as another kid goes through that size. If you think I could help with more details, let me know and I will share more of how I do it! Lol. Good luck.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:19 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• One cool thing you can do is buy a bunch of those stretchy hairbands and use them to "bundle" the clothing together into outfits--pants, shirt, undies, socks--as you fold and put away. For sock control, get a few of those mesh laundry bags; the socks come off and go in the mesh bag for washing. That keeps the socks from vanishing to the bottom of the pile to be unearthed much later.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:58 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I have decluttered our clothing last month. I throw away first. I went through everything the kids have and then just tossed stuff in bags and donated alot to a second hand store. I put together outfits, so that there would be no more guessing at dressing time. My daughter now has 5 nice dresses, 10 outfits that consist of a shirt a bottom and some with a jacket or cardigan etc. My son has 3 dress outfits for church, 10 outfits like above. My toddler who is 2 has 12 outfits, and 5 nice chruch type dresses. I also kept 7 PJ's for each of them, then of course all thier socks and undies. This is working well for us because now all the clothes are preplanned into outfits, so no more drama in the morning of "what to wear" I know exactly what they own, and there are not enough clothes there to breed vanity. Also now when we go to the store nobody askes for new fun clothes they see because they know mommy just throws stuff away.
    puddleybug

Answer by puddleybug at 1:28 AM on Jul. 28, 2009