How did you quit smoking?

My husband and I have decided to quit smoking.... more so my idea than his. Today is our first day without a cigerette. I have been smoking for 9 years, and my husband has been for about 12 years. Just wondering if any of you quit smoking... and how you did it. Patches? Cold turkey? Medicine? Is there any easy way to quit? All responses greatly appreciated!

shyne4584

Asked by shyne4584 at 11:15 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Health

• cold turkey for both of us=-- because I got pregnant. IT SUCKS. Have healthy snacks around- it has been several months - the first WEEK was the hardest, but occasionally i still want ont...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I cut back a much as I could then I just stoped smoking,"cold turkey". Never smoked another one.

Answer by louise2 at 11:20 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• It is not easy. After the first month it gets easier.

Answer by louise2 at 11:22 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I used the patch. Tak it off at night or you get crazy dreams. The generic work fine, but may not stick as well. I typed up all the reasons I dont want to smoke and hung them on the doors so I couldnt go outside without seeing I DONT WANT CANCER! on my back door.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:30 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My Husband and I quit, I did Oct 08 and he followed behind me in Nov 08. I got really sick with a kidney infection and kidney stones so it made it a bit easier to quit than my Husband, he tried the gum, etc.. Then he finally took my advice and stopped cold turkey. I told him that in order to quit he's going to have to get all of the nicoteine (sp?) out of his system. I'm so proud of us for quitting, it's not only good for us but good for everyone around us. It gets easier with time and you should be so proud of yourselves for trying!! GL!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:31 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I used quitnet.com as well. It isreally neat cause you put in your quit date and how much you smoke and price of cigs. It then gives you stats on how much you've saved, how many days you've added to your life, how long you have not smoked and the number of cigs NOT smoked. I also kept a few cigs in a cabinet on top of my fridge. Tehn I had control over them, not them over me. I didnt want to get desperate and feel like I couldnt smoke so it was comforting to know I could but I wont. I cleaned up teh smoking area and quit talking on the phone at night cause it was my time when I smoked the most.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:33 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Thank you all so much for your responses! I think I will be ok knowing all the cafemoms are there supporting us. I am definantly checking out that website ria7..... thanks for the advice.... and thanks to everyone else also. I will probably be journaling for the next few days about how it's going..... I have to keep my kids healthy, as well as myself. Thanks again.
    shyne4584

Answer by shyne4584 at 11:42 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I quit cold turkey. I got sick of the nasty smell and how it was making me feel. Plus I found out I was prego.

There is a great remedy in a book I got from the library. Its called "You Staying Young" The owners manuel to extending your life..something like that. It has all kinds of wonderful explanations of common health issues...but there was a whole section on quitting smoking. It suggests medication you get from the dr. and a 6 month plan. Looked pretty promising. I want my husband to follow it but he has to have strong enough reasons and desire to quit first.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:44 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• my hubby is going on three weeks first he started to cut back and then we got him the patch so far so good it seems to work we had to switch to a name brand pach b/c th echepies gave him a rash
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 12:33 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• It is hard, but you will be so proud of your self and you are worth the effort!!! On day 3 I laid on my couch and cried my eyes out. I though i would never be happy or laugh again. It was miserable. Now I laugh about it, but I wouldnt give in and smoke but allow yourself to feel it and Know the crvings will go away!!! I have been smoke free for almost a year and it is awesome!! Every once in a while i still miss it if Im drinking, but for the most part Im so glad I dont wake up with the "i shouldnt have smoked so many last night" feeling! You can do it!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:05 PM on Jul. 27, 2009