Problem with child and cat

We have a cat, Valentine, who is the biggest sweetheart...he arrived in our family via another family that was getting rid of him when my son was about 3 months old. He totally adores my son. Well, now my son is 21 months old and tries to play rough and tumble with the cat. Valentine is too laid back and takes it, but he will meow sometimes but not runaway...so, I am working on that when yesterday my son had a phone in his hand and hit Valentine with it...we scolded him and all that...and just now my son had a calculator in his hand and hit Valentine on the heat with it. I scolded him and put him in time out but I don't think he understands and I don't know what to do. Any suggestions???

sunnymommy122

Asked by sunnymommy122 at 11:26 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• don't let him play with the cat
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Just keep up what you are doing and try to limit their interactions for now. Also "show" him how to play with the cat, take his hand and make him nicely pet the cat and say something like "Nice touches, very good!" over and over. He'll get it eventually.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• when bfs daughter hit my husky, i hit her (not hard), suprized the hell out her she started crying. i asked her how do you think the dog felt. he was lay out of the way sleeping and you punched him. she hasnt done it again. lol the dog just leaves the room now if shes in it. i caught her pushing her 11 month old brother down, i pushed her on her butt, she stopped play that game too. sometimes you have to show them or let them feel what there doing.
    16thmoon

Answer by 16thmoon at 11:36 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• i agree with the pp some kids need to feel what they r doing so it clicks in their head that it hurts. i have a cat thats the sameway as ur he wont run or do anything to protect himself but my other 4 run most of the time unless a adult is there to protect them. i started to watch the kids with r cats and everytime the cat was hurt i would punish the child as seen fit and baby the cat.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 12:04 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Awwhh. Valentine sounds like the most perfect Cat! You're Very Lucky! My DD's grew up with Cats! It helped them to be Healthy & not allergic Etc.. A Good Love, protection & respect with them!! They have them now in their adult lives!! You do have to watch your toddler. more so... You maybe should keep them some seperated! If you can teach your son to learn the word no. It may help! Maybe reading A Story or making one in A book how to not hurt Kitty! And Read it over & over... Having A Great Cat & A wonderful Child is the best of both worlds. But you have to be Careful over protecting each of them!! I hope you find your solution! Good Luck!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 12:06 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• when my son hurts the cat, i say NO, and then i take his hand and show him how to pat Rip gently. he still has his moments, but he knows to be gentle now.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 12:59 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I have cats and dogs. My daughter knows the term "Dont Hit!" and if she does then I smack her hand. She is 19 months and pretty much knows how each animal reacts to her and what she can do with each. Just keep up with letting him know it is not ok to hit and if he does he gets punished and he cant play with the cat for a while. Watch the cat though, sometimes you may think an animal is doing fine then they turn and bite or scratch. I would monitor their interaction very closely.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:32 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I have three cats and a rough and tumble 11 month old boy- same problem. My son knows what "no" and "be gentle" means. And if he doesn't listen the first two times i tell him. he gets a swat and the corner. He will learn just be consistent. And if the cat scratches him then maybe he will learn even faster.
    Anonymous