We have 3 kids and my husband WONT let me work he says we cant afford daycare. I feel like i could help so much more if i were working. Im always hearing him complain about money. Please if anyone else has this problem please give me some advice.

momof3boys1110

Asked by momof3boys1110 at 11:35 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Relationships

• Have you went out and priced how much it would cost you to pay for daycare? Plus figure out roughly how much you could make in a moth? Minus the daycare form your pay? To see if you would have enough after daycare and gas to go to and from work and daycare. if it would be worth while working?

Answer by louise2 at 11:40 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Go visit some daycares, and ask about the cost for three kids--some charge less for additional kids from the same family. Then, look at what you're likely to be paid if you work. Do the calculations yourself, and figure out if it's worthwhile.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:40 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Do you realize how expensive day care for 3 kids is? Look at how much you would bring home after paying day care, the added expenses of lunches if the center doesn't provide them. Gas and upkeep on the car. You may be better off staying home.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:44 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• He won't "let" you??
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:46 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Apply for daycare assistance through social services.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 11:49 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• If you really want to work is working from home a possibility? That would elminate the daycare situation and you would still be able to work, as well as all the other costs of working.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 11:50 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• he can handle it until the kids are in school then get a job unless you can find a job with a different shift as hubby.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:55 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• id apply for subsadize child care depending on how much u and hubby make u could find day care is cheap..i only paid 45 dollars a week for my dd child care when i was working.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 12:45 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• First off, you need to figure out if getting a job is worth it after you take out daycare, gas, lunches for work, etc. If it is, show DH the numbers. If he still doesn't like the idea, or it isn't worth it, you should look into working from home. There are plenty of companies that hire people to work from home, especially if you don't mind doing customer service work over the phone. You could also open a daycare in your home, or start up an event planning business, or errand running business. You can also make money cleaning houses and offices, taking people to and from dr appointments and the grocery store. Get creative. You can find a way to bring in some money.
    mrsherron

Answer by mrsherron at 1:37 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• How about applying for a job at a daycare? Besides actual childcare jobs, there are jobs for cooks & administrative assistants & janitors & maintenance & yard workers. Many daycares offer discounts for their employees, plus you would be around the kids all the time. Three of my kids were in daycare for a while & I know how expensive it is. But I talked to one of the office assistants & her daughter's daycare was discounted like 70% & it was taken right out of her paycheck. She admitted that that was the reason she worked--otherwise, it wouldn't have been worth it.

Maybe you could work part time & trade child care with another part time working mother? Maybe you work Mon & Wed & she watches your kids & she works Tues & Thurs & you watch her kids.

Finally, look into working opposite shifts. Ex DH & I did this for about a year & it worked great for us. I worked part time, he was full & someone was always at home
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 2:33 PM on Jul. 27, 2009