My 6 month old son seems a little constipated.

It's only been one day but he always had a bowel movement every day before. I am breast feeding and he is getting rice cereal or oat cereal at night. I also started him on vitamins as recommended by our doc. I wonder if I need to do anything. It might be too early... He also seems pretty happy

FloridaB

Asked by FloridaB at 11:56 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he's happy, and not seeming to have a tummy ache, don't worry about it. It's normal for breastfed babies to go a few days between poops. My kids all had their days of pooping & not pooping. Don't give him any extra unnecessary stuff (karo, suppository, anything) unless it's been a few days, he's really uncomfortable, AND your doctor says to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• if your child is uncomfortable, then stop the cereal. It is highly unusualy for a breastfed child to be constipated. that said, if the rice cereal is not brown rice, it can be very constipating.

Many nutritionists now recommend skipping cereal, and using mashed avocado mixed with a bit of breastmilk as the first food.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I was wondering if it's the cereal. He is not getting brown rice yet. All single grain, we just stared on solids
    FloridaB

Answer by FloridaB at 12:14 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Is he passing hard pellets? If not, he's not constipated.

But cereal can slow down the poops drastically.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:04 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• The cereal can be constipating. So can the vitamins, which are really unnecessary unless there is a deficiency determined by a blood test. Your milk is a natural laxative so I would suggest backing off the cereal and nurse as much as possible. As gdimante said, constipation means hard pellets. Breastfed babies can go 14 days or more and be ok.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 2:33 PM on Jul. 27, 2009