Kennel Cough in a 10 week old puppy; anyone have experience?

I adopted a Catahoula about 3 weeks ago. Because of the possibility of parasites and her unknown health at the time (she was found by the side of a highway), my vet opted to wait for her vaccinations until we knew her health was stronger and until we knew she is free of parasites (why I don't know). Last night she developed this horrible cough (it reminds me of whooping cough in a child). She coughs horrible then wretches. Only thing I can find is possible Kennel Cough.

She has an appointment with the vet at 3:30 today. How do I make her comfortable until then. How did she get this? We do have two other dogs - both adult, both vaccinated and current on shots. She has not been allowed around other dogs or in common areas - because she has not had shots yet. Anyone have experience with this?? Help- my little baby girl is coughing horribly.

PaceMyself

Asked by PaceMyself at 12:07 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Pets

• My youngest had kennel cough as a puppy. Basically it just sounds worse than it is. Although my dog was a little bit older, maybe 4 or 6 weeks older. Anyway, the vet gave us an antibiotic to prevent infection in the lungs and then a cough suppressant to use as needed. We didn't end up using the cough suppressant because she would only cough badly when she was worked up so we didn't let her do much running around or playing. We let her around our other dog who had been vaccinated for kennel cough and she never got it.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:30 PM on Jul. 27, 2009