Weaning a two year old who loves to BF

How in the world do I do this without breaking his heart and if I have to break his heart what approach do you suggest? cold turkey or slowly

UAFwife

Asked by UAFwife at 12:19 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Stop taking your breast out for him
    Anonymous

• Its not that simple but thanks anyway!
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 12:22 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Same boat. I can't do it to him. He'll be 2.5 in a couple of months...I NEVER thought we'd go this long, DD4 weaned by herself at 13 months no problem. My DS would be DEVASTATED if I cut him off cold turkey. I've been trying to distract him when he wants it, and now we only do it in his bed instead of just anywhere....its a very slow process. I also tell him that big boys don't nurse, but then I ask, "are you a big boy?" and he shakes his head no, lol.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:26 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I did it a little at a time w/ my boy's. Cut out one session each week. I got to the point where they only nursed once a day one hour before bed. Then I did only like every other day and then I spent the night at my parents house and that was it. With my twins when they were 6 months, they both at the same time just stopped, I was so sad because I had just lost my Mom a week before. I think going slow is better for you and him.Good luck Momma:)
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 12:43 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Drop a session a week. Distract and delay. DO NOT expect him to be happy about it...but yourob is not and never will be to make him happy. **smile**

Offer a privilege in place of nursing.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:00 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• NO cold turkey, by the way...unless engorgement is your idea of fun!

• Just wanted to throw this out there. I have heard that boys nurse longer than girls. Not sure about how true it is, but a friend of mine told me something that made sense to me. She told me to nurture my boy all I could while he was young, because after he leaves ME, that's all there is. Girls grow up to be women who find other women to nurture & care for them. Boys grow up to be men who do NOT nurture each other. Hugs, nope, maybe an occassional high 5! Our 2 y/o FS is definitely a "Mama's boy", but one who is strong, fearless, adventurous, not a sissy at all. But he LOVES to cuddle with me, have his bottle & blanket, and now will also with DH. I don't want to keep him a baby forever, but he is still a growing toddler. It's OK to let him grow up at his own pace. I am very proud of him. Sorry, not so much advice on weaning, but gramsmom's reply made me think of this.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:15 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• He will wean when he is ready. Most babies do if parents allow them to.
    Anonymous

• Slowly would be better in my opinion. It gives him time to adjust to the change. As you drop a feeding, substitute something else in it's place. Still give him one-on-one, but without the feeding. Good luck!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:30 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I nursed for 18 months and weened slowly. . . cut out the feedings before naptime(s) first and replaced with rocking and a story or two. That took a couple weeks. Then cut out the morning feeding and replaced it with a sippy of milk. At that point I hid the boppy because he would refuse the sippy and run and get his boppy. that took another week. I waited a couple more weeks of only nursing at night and then started to drop that feeding. I set a time limit for nursing the first week (about 20 minutes) the next week we cut it to 15 minutes and after we sat up facing way from me and read a story and rocked. the third week we cut to 10 minutes and read 2 stories and rocked. Week four was cut to 5 minutes and 3 stories and week 5 was only stories I also hid the boppy in his bedroom at the same time. He fussed at the start of each week but by the end had adjusted. Good luck hope it helps
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 3:10 PM on Jul. 27, 2009