What can I do to relieve heartburn?

I am pregnant and get really bad heartburn. I know that sitting up after eating helps but it feels like I am having it all day. What is safe to take or do to relieve the pain?

JacobsMommy05

Asked by JacobsMommy05 at 12:20 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• eat a pickle or 2.. or drink the pickle juice
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 12:23 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I take Tums and I was given a prescription for Zantac 300mg. You can get 150 mg over the counter. The Zantac has helped, but I still get it. I also sleep propped up on three pillows because it's really bad when I'm laying down.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:24 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• tums or rolaids are also safe if u dont care for pickles lol
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 12:24 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Tums. Low-fat (anything but whole) milk. Sometimes half a piece of dry toast or a couple saltine crackers, to soak up the acid.
    Anonymous

• Put milk in the freezer for like five mins then take it out, put a few ice cubes in and drink just enough to give you some relief. Don't drink too much though 'cause it'll make it worse.

I used to wake up at like 2AM with the worst heartburn that you could imagine, I couldn't sleep so I started having my husband do that with the milk. I would drink like a half of a glass and feel so much better that I'd be able to fall back asleep. :] Then by the time you wake up, it's gone anyway so it doesn't matter.
    ours

Answer by ours at 12:42 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Thanks ladies. Pickles really? I never heard of that,but i do like pickles. I will tryt that. Zantac is safe during pregnancy? I have some but wasn't sure if it was safe.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 12:44 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Tums were my best friend with both pregnancies. Also, it's soooo nasty but a little bit of baking soda in water helps. It's TERRIBLE tasting and if you are sick to your stomach a lot, I don't recommand it. Just make sure the water is a little warm so you can slam it. And it taste terrible but really helps.
    CrystalJanie

Answer by CrystalJanie at 12:50 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• an ice cream cone :)
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 12:56 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I too have had really bad heartburn this pregnancy and the only thing that helps me is vanilla milkshakes !!
    sophia_03_27

Answer by sophia_03_27 at 9:53 AM on Jul. 28, 2009