Is it OK to say "NO" to your toddler?

My dear friend is convince that saying no is not OK. If you want a child to stop doing something you would have to replace it with an appropriate activity. Do do get my grip? I'm confused !!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The big thing you want to look out for when using "no" is not to use it too much. If you use it too much, your toddler can become "desensitized" to it, so to speak. I think that's where that school of thought comes from. But at the same time, they do need to know what "no" means. So both is good.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:52 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I did both.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 12:22 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I can't take parents like that, they aren't preparing the kids for the real world at all.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 12:22 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I do both like pp. It IS okay to say "no".
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 12:23 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I say stop to my son,or don't do that. I personally don't like the word no unless he is getting into something that can break or that is important. I think it is ok to use it sometimes but you do also have to let them know why you are saying no. Like no don't pull on the curtains it can fall or whatever. Just saying no they won't understand what they are doing that is wrong. ALso re-direct them, don't pull on the curtains but you can pull on your blanket or whatever.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 12:26 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• cherrie, ajguinn, Jacobs, I see thanks for the input. OP
    Anonymous

• Its perfectly okay to say no.
    mommy2be32509

Answer by mommy2be32509 at 12:28 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Uh, if they don't hear the word "no" now, they'll never learn. Use it in conjunction with redirecting their attention. But don't never say no - that's asking for trouble down the road.
    Anonymous

• We tell our daughter no all the time.. because she likes to get into trouble.. but we also tell her WHY we say no, like JacobsMommy05 said.. but we also use stop, and don't do that. Just depends.
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 12:31 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I do both i say 'no' and then redirect.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:31 PM on Jul. 27, 2009