How do you keep a dog from jumping up on people or jumping up and putting their front paws on counters?

I know she just loves people and is just curious and wants attention, but it is a behavior we want to discourage.

elwalters77

Asked by elwalters77 at 7:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Pets

• This advice comes straight from a puppy training book. You have to knee them everytime they jump up onto someone. Just gently raise the knee to push them down and say "no jumping". After several times...they usually get the idea. Front paws on counters?? My friend had two adorable great danes. They were monsters in her house...she put tack strips on her furniture and on the window sill to keep them down. It did not hurt them..just smarted for a second, but they stopped going there!!! good luck!
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 7:36 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• MY DOG IS THE SAME WAY. WE USE A SPRAY BOTTLE WITH WATER TO TRAIN HIM. WHENEVER HE JUMPS WE TELL HIM "IM GONNA GET THE SPRAY BOTTLE AND HE STOPS.
    veronica992

Answer by veronica992 at 9:12 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• The knee to the chest thing should work with jumping on people. We have to work on it with our dog too! As for counters.. that is a tough one. Our Maggie is always two feet on the counter, trying to reach what ever she can!
    Tesnonian

Answer by Tesnonian at 11:19 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Have you ever watched "Dog Whisperer"? He can teach you anything and everything you wish to know! Especially with stubborn or difficult to teach dogs!
    jackimci

Answer by jackimci at 1:07 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Train your dog with a leash. When guest come over leash the dog, when the dog goes to jump give a gentle tug.  same with the counters, if you have leave the dog leashed so you can correct her at any time you need to also say no or make a sound when you tug so that later all you have to do is make the sound and you can remove the leash. Good luck
    T.W.

Answer by T.W. at 2:25 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I have done both the leash and the knee. I think both work equally well. Just make sure the whole family does the same things or the dog will get confused.
    katydidit1965

Answer by katydidit1965 at 5:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Knee to the chest is working with my brothers overexcited lab. The nose is also very sensative spot to swat.
    BrierLisa

Answer by BrierLisa at 6:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• This may sound really stupid but Binaca. The bad breath spray whenever they jump up just give them a lil spray. My aunts vet told her that when her English sheep dog wouldnt stop jumping
    MafianPrincess

Answer by MafianPrincess at 12:27 AM on Jun. 24, 2008