Not breastfeeding; how to dry up milk?

I am not breastfeeding with my daughter. I had a lot of trouble with my son 2 years ago and decided not to do it this go round. I had her last thursday at 4:23am so i am 4 days post partum. saturday night and still my breast have been veryengorged and hard. even has heat in them. The hospital told me to wrapp them in the ace bandage and to put cabbage leaves in my bra. Well i changed the cabbage when it wilted and would bind my breast too... i had to stop the cabbage this morning do to a little irritation but will probably use it again for a couple hours later. what do you do to dry up your milk and how do you handle the breast engorgement? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sometimes a woman doesn't dry up for quite a long time, years even. Our bodies are made to nourish our children & when a woman is lucky enough to have that ability it can be hard to stop it. Have you considered pumping and bottle feeding that way? What about donating to a child that is in true need of that golden juice? Don't forget that, as with every pregnancy and every child, breastfeeding can be a completely different experience then your previous child. Have you given it a try? Baby may take to it immediately without much trouble at all.

BTW NEVER bind your breasts that can lead to a clogged duct then to mastitis which is extremely painful.

Anonymous

• Stop the binding...that will make things worse. Cabbage leaves. Ice packs. No More Milk Tea from the health food store.

And time. It won't dry up quickly...expect to still have milk for as long as a year.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:10 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• SAge and peppermint tea. Lots of it. DON'T BIND YOUR BREASTS!
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 1:11 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I've heard about the cabbage leaf thing but never tried it. Cold packs are supposed to help dry you up, and it can help with the discomfort, too. (A nurse at the hospital when I was super engorged recommended putting some water in a couple of diapers and getting them good and saturated and then putting them in the freezer and putting them on my boobs to help with the engorgment pain, and that worked wonderfully.) Avoid warm packs and running warm water on your boobs; it feels great, but warmth increases milk supply.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:48 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I took Sudafed once and it damn near dried me up. Otherwise, listen to these wise ladies, I would have said the same things.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 4:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• NO binding. This can cause plugged ducts and infection. Cabbage leaves, motrin for pain, SUPPORTIVE bra, and TIME.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:38 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I took long hot baths all the time and I took a lot of pain medicine.
    driverswife

Answer by driverswife at 9:51 PM on Jul. 29, 2009