What distance in age do you recommend between children ?

My girls are 2 and 3. My husband and I thought I was pregnant last month because of a late period. But I was not. Up until then we hadn't been considering it, but now it got us thinking about it. So for those of you out there with kids close in age, do you think we should wait a couple more years, or go ahead and start trying. plus I'm super fertile, so when we do start it won't take me long :O)

TiffBryan

Asked by TiffBryan at 12:41 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think it really depends on the parents and the other children...an age difference that works for one family, may not be ideal for antoher.

Hubby and I have an 8mo old...and I'm currently in collge, and won't graduate for a few more years...so our 1st and 2nd will most likely be 3+ yrs apart.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 12:43 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Hubby and I both like how our family has turned out.. We have a son who just turned three on the 14 of this month and are expecting our second son on the first of october. (maybe sooner I pray).. So I always here three years is a good spread.. They are close but not too close and def not too far apart!
    Cameolynn

Answer by Cameolynn at 12:46 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• like carlie said above its whatever you and your children are ready for. i like the idea of having older ones potty trained before another so theres only one in diapers....but thats just me. i currently have two boys a 3yr old and 8 month old. i think waitin till the youngest is about a year to try again will work for us. and as i say all this i wouldnt mind startin now either lol
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 12:47 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• The only thing that matters is if you are ready. Pregnancy is hard work...and so is parenting!! I have a 16 month old son and a 1 month old daughter. After my son, I was dead set NO MORE KIDS for a few years....than I got pregnant again!! I wasn't ready by any means (to go through pregnancy OR have another child)!!! Everything is working out fine though. Good luck!
    CrystalJanie

Answer by CrystalJanie at 12:47 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• it depends on the child. ours are 3 1/2 years apart and i think that was too big a gap.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 12:54 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• we have a 2.5 yr old and I am pregnant now. My baby will be born right after my daughter turns 3. Thats perfect for us. My daughter is potty trained and quite independent. So I am hoping my pregnancy wont be too much of a problem with 2.5yr old and kids wont be too far apart in age either.
    SweKrish

Answer by SweKrish at 1:02 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I think that is a very personal decision that should hinge on your patience and you health. For us 2.5-3 years is ideal. However other people need a matter of months and other need 5+ years.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 1:46 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• There is no "correct" gap. Do what is best for you.

We have "2 sets" of kids My DS is 10, DD9 then we have DD4 and DS3 I LOVE it that way.
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 2:10 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I agree do what is best for you and what you can handle. I knew from the start that I would not be able to have kids back to back . I have an almost three year old now and are expecting another this Nov. My daughter is actually looking forward to a lil sister or lil brother. That's all she talks about and I hope she still feels the same when he/she arrives lol.
    Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 6:01 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• For me, I like for my kids to be no more then 2 years apart. My oldest two are 22 months apart. My second and third children are 18 months apart. My current youngest and the new baby will be just shy of 2 years apart. I love the age difference between my kids. Right now I have a 5 yr. old, 3 yr. old, and 22 month old. In Sept. I'll have a newborn.
    _Momof3_

Answer by _Momof3_ at 1:48 PM on Jul. 28, 2009