How do you go about counting calories?

Does anybody do it? I've never done it. I've done the Weight Watchers counting points thing and found that all I ever thought about was food and that wasn't a good place for me. Is that how it is when counting calories? And where do you get caloric info on foods that don't have nutritional value on the packaging like fresh vegetables and fruit and such?

proud2Bmomma

Asked by proud2Bmomma at 12:51 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Look at this site. I love it!!!

http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/users/myplate/

You put in how much you want to lose, gain, or if you just want to maintain your weight. How much you weigh, height, etc. You search for foods you ate, put in what you did for the day (even if walking in an office) and it tells you how many calories you ate and burned. Love it!!!

a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 12:54 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I log my daily intake and activities on fitday.com As for things that dont have labels, I try to find a rough estimate online and just give a close estimate.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 12:55 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I use the sparkpeople website
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 12:59 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I don't. I would worry way more about fat content than calories. Most people should consume no more than 45 grams of fat a day.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 1:02 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Spark people is an awesome free site and they have a calorie counter and a menu so its free and it might help you with groups in your area!!
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:47 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I just look at my food and think...I bet this has calories. Lol.
    xCalliex

Answer by xCalliex at 1:59 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I learned the calorie count of a few of my favorite foods VS the amount of workout it would take to burn it.
    Do I REALLY want to drink a can of "30 minutes on the treadmill"
    Then once I knew the basics, I stopped worring about every calorie. Learned to pick fresh food, vs. processed food.
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 2:04 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Sparkpeople is good. I just usually keep a journal.
    sugarmagnolia1

Answer by sugarmagnolia1 at 3:17 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Keep a detailed daily diary for yourself (yikes, enough "d"s)... online is helpful and there are many wonderful sites, but you're not always online. So a little diary to tote around in your purse is helpful.
    ..Sarah..

Answer by ..Sarah.. at 4:50 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• i do a little journal type book, and it does help to ask yourself do i need this soda or can i just drink water.
    luckyhart

Answer by luckyhart at 10:35 AM on Jul. 28, 2009